COMO PARK SENIOR HIGH SCHOOL NEWSLETTER 10/14/2016
- Como French students met their French high school pen pals who attend Institution Notre Dame in Chartres, France in a Skype (online video) conversation this week. They introduced themselves and asked and answered questions about the upcoming American and French elections. Students will continue this exciting cross-cultural exchange about life here at Como and in St. Paul and France throughout the year.
- Como is proud to congratulate three of our scholars for receiving a Letter of Commendation from the National Merit Scholarship Program for outstanding performance on the Preliminary SAT/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test in 2015. Congratulations to Hannah Rhee, Josephine Schermerhorn and Nathan Stover. Way to go!!!!
- We had a wonderful and spirit filled Homecoming Week. Sporting events, a high energy pepfest and the week culminated in a beautiful day for our parade, picnic, homecoming game and closing out with our dance. A great time was had by all. Congratulations to our Royalty Court and also to Maria Cochiarella, our Booster Club, staff and students who made our 2016 Homecoming week a big success.
Get Involved, Kids!
- Junior and Senior Students, if you are passionate about STEM, this is a Work Study Program at 3M. 3M Company and the Saint Paul Public Schools (SPPS) would like to invite you to apply for participation in the 3M Science Training Encouragement Program (STEP). The 3M STEP program is a partnership between 3M and the SPPS that places selected applicants at the center of discovery, challenge, and opportunity. 3M provides the opportunity – you provide the commitment, the curiosity, and the energy.
- Who is eligible for STEP? To be eligible for STEP you need to a junior or senior at one of the participating SPPS high schools. You need to be at least 16 years of age, have a weighted GPA of 2.0 or greater, and a good attendance record at school. This program is for you if you have a strong interest in science and technology, but there are no formal science class requirements. This is a work-study program. You will be a part-time temporary employee of St Paul Public School District and will be paid for time spent in class (Monday & Thursdays: 12 - 2:00 p.m., Semester 2) as well as for the summer job. If you are selected to participate in this program, the St. Paul School District may require specific documentation including but not limited to , "social security number or proof of your status as a US citizen or as an alien with permission to work in the US". You will need to pass both a background check and a drug & alcohol screening before being accepted into the program. Questions, please see Ms. Rosenow, Business in Room #1407 for requirements. Or, email me: firstname.lastname@example.org Refer to: STEP@mmm.com
- Join BEASTBot Team 2855 at the Minnesota Robotics Invitational this Saturday at Roseville Area High School! It's a pre-season exhibition tournament, and all Como fans are invited. Robots will be rolling from 9 am until 3 pm - come and see what a competition is like, and say Hi to your Como Robotics Team!
- The Health and Wellness Committee would like to invite you to “An Autumn Stroll” around Como Lake. The fitness walk will take place at 2:15 p.m. Wednesday, October 26 in front of Como. Participants completing the walk will be enrolled in a raffle with the winner receiving $30 worth of Como Athletic Gear.
- Juniors and sophomores are invited to take the PSAT/NMSQT; however, sophomores will not qualify entry for the National Merit Scholarship. The test is a preliminary SAT/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test, which help prepare students for the SAT and an entry for the National Merit Scholarship. The test will be administered on Wednesday, Oct. 19th on site. There is a $15 fee due to Mrs. Vang on Monday, Oct. 17th before students can be accepted into the testing session.
Get Involved, Parents!
- Parent and Community Council (PCC) meets on the third Tuesday of the month and is open to all Como parents, students, and community members. The group meets in the library from 6:00-7:30pm. The topic for this month's meeting will be a presentation by our school counselors. Come and hear what is happening at school, and meet other Como parents and Como staff.
- A reminder for all parents, regardless of income, please complete the Educational Nutrition form, which is located on our school website and can be submitted online or by stopping in the main office for a paper copy. Parent signature is required.
- Como has four new counselors this year. Come and meet the counselors at Coffee with the Counselor on Wednesday, October 19 from 9:00-10:00am in the Parent Resource Room. Come to this informal meeting with Ashley Kronwell and have your questions answered. Call Sandy Kestner if you need transportation 651-744-3997
- Parents, do you want to help your student with their post-secondary plans? Do you understand the many different options available to them? The Parent Academy Seminars are designed to help you navigate this confusing information. The first seminar: Exploring College Options will be held on Monday, October 24, and the second seminar: College Entrance Exams-ACT, SAT, and the Accuplacer, will be held on November 7. The seminars are free, but class size is limited. Contact Sandy Kestner at 651-744-3997 to sign up, or sign up online http://www.spps.org/Page/28114
- Attention Seniors and Parents! Como is hosting the first of two FAFSA completion nights on Tuesday, October 18th from 5-7pm in the library computer lab. Counselors and local college admission reps will be available to help in the process. Documents to bring include:
- Social Security Number for parent and student
- Alien Registration Number (if you are not a US citizen)
- 2015 Federal tax forms (1040, 1040A...) for parent and student
- Bank statements and records of investments (if applicable)
- Records of untaxed income (if applicable)
- Families are also able to complete this process on your own:
- Step #1 fsaid.ed.gov BOTH student and parent complete this separately
- Step #2 fafsa.ed.gov Student AND parent complete portions of the SAME application
- Parents: The Health and Wellness Committee would like to invite you to “An Autumn Stroll” around Como Lake. The fitness walk will take place at 2:15 p.m. Wednesday, October 26 in front of Como. Participants completing the walk will be enrolled in a raffle with the winner receiving $30 worth of Como Athletic Gear.
Upcoming Events-mark your calendar!
- Parent and Community Council 10/18 6:00-7:30PM School library
- FAFSA night 10/18 5:00-7:00PM Computer lab 2nd floor
- Coffee with the Counselor 10/19 9:00-10:00PM Parent Resource Room
- NO SCHOOL 10/20 and 10/21 State teacher meetings
- Parent Academy Seminar #1 10/24 6:00-7:45PM Light supper at 5:30
- Booster Club 10/24 6:30PM Parent Resource Room/Athletic Office
Parent Coordinator Sandy Kestner: email@example.com
Please note: This newsletter is put together by a busy staff member who believes that parents and students can make the CPSHS community better when they know what is going on each week. News is collected via responses to an all-staff email as well as from active parents who regularly share news about non-staff affiliated groups. If you have something new you'd like to see in the newsletter, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This e-mail has been sent to you by COMO PARK SR. To maximize their communication with you, you may be receiving this e-mail in addition to a phone call with the same message. If you no longer wish to receive email notifications from COMO PARK SR, please click here to unsubscribe.