Degrees and Certifications:
Bachelor of Music in Music Education and Vocal Performance Master of Education in Music Education University of Minnesota Twin Cities
Hello Global Arts Plus Community!
My name is Kim Kroetsch. It is my great joy to teach music to students in grades K-4 at our Lower Campus. I have taught at our school for 24 years- my entire teaching career! My husband and I have 2 children who are Global Arts Plus students.
In addition to teaching classroom music, I love directing our elementary choirs! I am constantly inspired by the high-quality musicianship our students demonstrate when they sing together. I also love working with the many professional artists who come into our school community to work with students and teachers. In addition to my role at Global Arts Plus, I also serve on the Regional Arts Teacher Leader Network at the Perpich Center.
It has been my great fortune to serve on the committee of arts educators at the MN Department of Education developing the 2008 Minnesota State Arts Standards. The arts standards encompass music, dance, theater, visual art and media arts. They provide direction in helping students learn not only about the Foundations of each art form, but also the Large Artistic Processes: Create, Perform, Respond & Connect. The elementary music curriculum that I’ve developed for Global Arts students gives them:
- A solid grounding in the foundations of music: melody, rhythm, harmony, dynamics, tone color, texture, form and their related concepts and how they are used in the performance, creation and response to music.
- The musical skills of reading and notating music as well as singing and playing classroom instruments.
- The tools to create and revise their own music, including: Improvisation, composition and arranging rhythms, melodies and accompaniments.
- The ability to respond to music that they hear, as students justify personal interpretations and connections to music.
- An understanding of the many connections between music and other core content areas including math, literacy, social studies, science, and the other arts areas. Arts integration is at the heart of a student’s learning experience in music class.
My door is always open to those who wish to visit. I also invite you to visit gapmusic: music at Global Arts Plus in St. Paul- my professional blog dedicated to music education at Global Arts Plus: lmapmusic.wordpress.com or my Twitter page @MrsKroetsch. For updates that I post on music related school events- please check out our Global Arts Plus PTA page.
If you plan to stop by- here is the schedule of music classes:
Kim Kroetsch K-4 Music Schedule 2019-20
10:05-10:55 4th grade music classes
11:10-12:00 1st grade music classes
12:30-1:20 Kindergarten music classes
1:25-2:15 Grade 2 music classes
2:20-3:10 Grade 3 music classes
Monday: Arts Team Gathering Planning
Tuesday: Grade 2 Choir Rehearsal
Wednesday: Classroom collaboration
Thursday: Grade 3-4 Choir Rehearsal
3:55-4:10 Bus Duty