About The Office of Early Learning
The Office of Early Learning (OEL) Pre-Kindergarten Program (Pre-K) aims to:
- improve the school readiness of Saint Paul children;
- offer a rigorous academic approach; and
- help prevent St. Paul’s achievement gap.
The Pre-Kindergarten program is aligned with the district's K-12 standards-based instructional model. Standards-based curriculum and assessments guide the program to continuously improve performance and quality.
The program was developed and supported by a culmination of lessons learned through Early Reading First grants (2006-2007, 2007-2008, 2008-2009, 2009-10), McKnight Project Early Kindergarten grants and School Readiness programs.
The Pre-Kindergarten program provides a rigorous academic preschool education for children. Classes focus on teaching children to:
- see themselves as capable learners;
- develop reading, writing and math skills; and
- work well with other children and adults.
Up to 20 children are enrolled in each class with a licensed teacher and an assistant. Children are enrolled for a full school year, half day (mornings or afternoons) and full day.
What we do:
- Provide professional development for Pre-Kindergarten Teachers and Paraprofessionals
- Hire, train and supervise Content Coaches who support Pre-Kindergarten classrooms
- Hire, train and supervise Partnerships Coordinators who support Pre-Kindergarten classrooms and families
- Work with school staff to host multilingual family education workshops
- Work with school staff to support students and families in the transition to Pre-Kindergarten and Kindergarten
- Provide families with information to extend the learning from classroom to home
- Support Pre-Kindergarten Teachers with curricular resources
- Support Pre-Kindergarten Teachers with assessment collection and the use of data to inform instruction
Call us for/when:
- You have questions about Early Childhood Workshop, assessments used in Pre-Kindergarten.
- You need a presentation on Early Childhood Workshop or Family Education topics relevant to early learning.
- Families have questions and you need more information specific to Pre-Kindergarten issues.
Our Administrative and Support Staff
For a list of all staff, see OEL Support Staff.