About The Office of Early Learning
The Office of Early Learning (OEL) Pre-Kindergarten Program (Pre-K) aims to:
- improve the school readiness of Saint Paul children;
- offer a rigorous academic approach; and
- help prevent St. Paul’s achievement gap.
The Pre-Kindergarten program is aligned with the district's K-12 standards-based instructional model. Standards-based curriculum and assessments guide the program to continuously improve performance and quality.
The program was developed and supported by a culmination of lessons learned through Early Reading First grants (2006-2007, 2007-2008, 2008-2009, 2009-10), McKnight Project Early Kindergarten grants and School Readiness programs.
The Pre-Kindergarten program provides a rigorous academic preschool education for children. Classes focus on teaching children to:
- see themselves as capable learners;
- develop reading, writing and math skills; and
- work well with other children and adults.
Up to 20 children are enrolled in each class with a licensed teacher and an assistant. Children are enrolled for a full school year, half day (mornings or afternoons) and full day.
In addition, the Office of Early Learning supports Kindergarten programming. Schools using the Kindergarten Workshop Model have an aligned curricular framework used in our Pre-Kindergarten classrooms. The Kindergarten Workshop Model includes a content-based, wrap around curriculum that connects standards-based instruction in all areas to broader conceptual learning for students through month-long Areas of Study.
What we do:
- Provide professional development for Pre-Kindergarten Teachers, Kindergarten Teachers and Assistants
- Hire, train and supervise Content Coaches who support Pre-Kindergarten and Kindergarten classrooms
- Hire, train and supervise Partnerships Coordinators who support Pre-Kindergarten and Kindergarten classrooms and families
- Work with school staff to host multilingual family education workshops
- Work with school staff to support students and families in the transition to Pre-Kindergarten and Kindergarten
- Provide families with information to extend the learning from classroom to home
- Support Pre-Kindergarten and Kindergarten Teachers with curricular resources
- Support Pre-Kindergarten and Kindergarten Teachers with assessment collection and the use of data to inform instruction
Call us for/when:
- You have questions about Early Childhood Workshop, assessments used in Pre-Kindergarten and Kindergarten, or professional development.
- You need a presentation on Early Childhood Workshop or Parent Education topics relevant to Pre-Kindergarten and Kindergarten.
- Parents have questions and you need more information specific to Pre-Kindergarten and Kindergarten issues.
Our Administrative and Support Staff
For a list of all staff, see OEL Support Staff.