Our Common Mission and Vision
To provide a premier education for language learners, with long-range goals for language proficiency, strong foundations, community engagement, and collaborative success. The aim is for all students to become bilingual, bi-literate, and culturally proficient in both the majority and partner cultures.
Imagine every student...
- Proficient in at least two languages, with a strong foundation in academic knowledge, communication skills and cultural understanding.
- Proud of their own cultural heritage, with clear appreciation for the many cultures which compose the richness of our community.
- Challenged, supported and inspired to graduate to something great.
Imagine every family…
- Welcomed in a language they understand, by staff who embrace the wealth of diversity within our schools.
- Empowered with the knowledge and tools to nurture their children’s educational efforts.
- Sharing their cultural heritage with the students, families, and staff that make up our school district community.
Imagine our community…
- Stronger for the gifts that we collectively contribute to the education of our children.
- Richer in well prepared, linguistically diverse and culturally proficient graduates.
- Prepared to create a bright future together
Saint Paul Public School (SPPS) EL Facts:
- SPPS has the highest number of English Learners (ELs) in the state of MN
- 11,287 students; 31% of the overall SPPS student population are ELs
- A total of 129 languages identified in SPPS
- Top 4 languages in SPPS: Hmong, Spanish, Karen and Somali