SPPS Literacy Mission & Vision Statements
Saint Paul Public Schools Literacy Department is dedicated to ensuring that all students graduate from high school prepared for college, a career, and a future as a productive, critically thinking adult. Our goal is for students to learn to become effective readers and writers. .
WHAT WE BELIEVE...
We believe all students can accelerate their learning to be avid and skilled readers, writers, and inquirers in today’s ever-changing world.
We are committed to working elbow-to-elbow with teachers, administrators and schools to co-create systems and supports that are rooted in our district’s racial equity transformation work to eliminate racially predictable disparities in achievement and accelerate the achievement of all students.
We believe that by becoming critical readers, writers and thinkers, all students will be prepared for the 21st century.
WHAT WE DO...
The Literacy Department works closely with teachers, literacy coaches, leadership teams, and principals to strengthen the literacy program in each school —including assessment, instruction, intervention, and coaching.
District Literacy Specialists provide support and professional development aligned to school-site needs and SCIP (School Improvement Plan) goals. These include:
- Coaching of teachers (formal, informal and team) aligned to site-level SCIP literacy and equity goals
- Meta-coaching for literacy coaches
- PD aligned to site-level SCIP literacy and equity goals
- Co-facilitation of literacy team or PLC meetings
- Assessment and data analysis
- Collaboration around curriculum, instructional frameworks, and intervention support
- Modeling of teaching practices