The SPPS Facilities Department graciously welcomes volunteers to lend their talents to our school buildings.
Entrusted by Board policy to create a durable, safe, and welcoming environment, the Facilities Department seeks to channel volunteer efforts that have great impact on our schools while limiting liability for both the volunteer and the District. While we would like to accommodate all volunteer requests, there are unfortunately some the District cannot accept.
The Facilities Department invites individuals seeking volunteer opportunities to take part in the following activities:
- Site-based beautification activities, such as flower planting and gardening
- Assembly of approved, manufactured furniture
- Joint efforts led by organizations that have previous experience working on public sector projects and have the necessary supervision and liability coverage
- Location selection and preparations are guided by Facilities Dept.
- All exterior murals are subject to City of Saint Paul ordinance and are to be constructed with removable panels
- All interior murals must have walls prepped by Facilities Dept. and paint selection must be consistent with District standards
- General painting:
- The proposed project must be approved by Facilities Dept.
- Walls must be prepped by Facilities Dept. and paint selection must be consistent with District standards
In support of volunteer efforts, the Facilities Department will supply the following:
- Limited landscaping supplies, such as mulch and black dirt
- Technical experience and plan review
- Painting preparation
- Limited project management
Out of respect for creating safe environments, we request that the following work be handled exclusively by professionals:
- Any work requiring a Certificate of Competency from the City of Saint Paul, such as electrical, mechanical or plumbing work
- Any work requiring a City of Saint Paul Building Permit
- Any work requiring permanent mechanical connections to a building
- Any work that has significant potential for harm if it fails or is done incorrectly