Debate offers Highland students the ability to develop their research and public speaking skills and to explore their passion for social justice in an academically rigorous, competitive forum. Students are offered the unique opportunity to showcase these skills at tournaments throughout the state, as well as throughout the nation. This provides the opportunity for interactions between students from an array of academic backgrounds and networks. Highland offers Policy format debate through the Urban Debate League (UDL), which provides students with a broad topic to research over the course of the season. Whether students are interested in politics or philosophy; whether they prefer working alone or with a partner, the debate team at Highland provides many opportunities for success for all students.
We meet Tuesdays and Thursdays from 4:00 until 5:30 in room 2214. All are welcome!
2018's topic, selected by the National Federation of State High School Associations:
- Resolve: The United States federal government should substantially reduce its restrictions on legal immigration to the United States.
This year's local tournament schedule:
- MDTA @ Wayzata, September 22
- Rosemont, September 29
- UofM, October 5-6
- Humboldt, October 13
- Rosebowl @ Roseville, October 26-27
- Highland Park, November 9-10
- Big Question @ Highland, November 12
- UMBrooks @ UofM, November 17
- JV/Novice State, November 30-December 1
- UDL Champs, December 7-8
*Tournaments in BOLD are UDL Core Tournaments