SPPS Attendance Policy
Once enrolled in a public school, a child 5 years old to 18 years old (unless already graduated from High School), must attend school everyday, every class, on time, unless lawfully excused.
Lawfully Excused Absences
- Sickness-too sick to be in school
- Medical Appointments
- Religious Holidays
- Extreme Family Emergencies- house fire, death, etc.
Examples of UNEXCUSED Absences
- Missed school bus
- Suspended from school bus
- Staying home to babysit
- Weather too hot/cold
- Family vacation
Parents/Guardians MUST communicate with the school office every time a child is absent. Please note that not all absences will be excused. Call in or send a note to the main office, state the reason for absence and be specific.
All unknown absences are automatically marked as UNEXCUSED.
Did you know?
Students with Good Attendance...
- Do better on state tests
- Keep up with homework
- Get good grades
- Graduate from High School
- Go to College
- Have many career options
- Become more positive role models
- Are likely to have better self-esteem
- Build better peer relationships
- Are less likely to engage in negative or criminal behaviors