Saint Paul Public Schools is committed to providing a successful middle school model that supports students during a key transition time in their lives. We believe that our young adolescents deserve a middle school experience that is developmentally responsive, challenging, empowering and equitable.
The refined middle school model will roll out to our Phase 1 sites (K-8 schools and 6-8 middle schools) beginning in the 2019-20 school year. Learn more.
- Students have opportunities to experience exploratory classes that help students gain skills, have fun and pursue their interests.
- Depending on the daily schedule, students may have opportunities for a different number of exploratory classes each semester/school year.
- Classes typically include the arts, physical education, health and world languages.
Preparing for Middle School
- Fifth grade students have the opportunity to visit the middle school they will attend next fall.
- During the interactive visit, students learn about the expectations of middle school, experience fun activities all to help ease anxiety about next year.
- Families are also invited to schedule a tour of the school and ask questions.