Resources for Families
Community Violence Resources for Students and Families
Our Saint Paul Public Schools community has experienced high levels of trauma over the last several weeks, with two shootings involving young people after school and, most recently, a student fatality. These traumatic events can trigger a wide range of emotions, including sadness, hopelessness, anger, loss and pain. Please know there are resources to support you, and for you to support your students, as our community processes these events.
Below is a list of resources to assist you during this time. Please take care of yourselves and each other.
- Talking to Children About Violence
- Age-Related Reactions to Traumatic Event
- Parent Guidelines for Helping Youth After a Shooting
- Gun violence, grief, and trauma: A resource guide for students, teachers, and parents
- School Violence National and Regional Resources
- National Child Traumatic Stress Initiative (NCTSI) | SAMHSA
- Ramsey County Children’s Crisis Response: 651-266-7878
Request Free, State-Provided Gun Locks
SPPS is committed to the safety of our communities. The Minnesota Department of Public Safety is working to help residents properly secure and store any firearms you may have in your home. Individuals can request up to three free gun locks from the state using this request form. Learn more about why firearm security and safe storage matters at dps.mn.gov/safe-secure.