Mr. Tison - Music Teacher
Email (Gmail): email@example.com
*Please contact Mr. Tison through email first. Appointments can then be made for a phone call or Google Meets virtual meeting.
Office Hours: M-Th, 1:30 p.m. - 2:30 p.m.; F, 9:00 - 3:00 p.m. (by appointment)
*Appointments can be made for before or after hours if necessary.
About the Teacher:
- Pronouns: he/him/his
- Teaches private lessons throughout the Twin Cities (preference to piano, percussion, and AP music theory tutoring)
- Performs in Minnesota and Wisconsin (The Corbetti Jazz Quartet, The Big Stoop, Solo musician, Session/studio musician)
- Interested in musicology throughout the world, specifically in North/Central/South America.
- Favorite musicians are Peter Tosh, Chick Corea, The Brothers Johnson, Sam Cooke, Tito Puente, Led Zeppelin, Jim Croce, Chance the Rapper, Thundercat, and J. Cole.
Why I teach at Ramsey:
I love music and I love seeing students finding success, passion, and joy in the things they create. The internationally-minded core of our instruction, the diversity of knowledge and experience our families bring, and the one-of-a-kind staff at Ramsey make me happy to call this school home.
Common Class Agreements:
- Respect: Ourselves and others - be willing to create class expectations to adhere to and keep ourselves honest and accountable for our own actions.
- Responsibility: Everyone should bring their instrument/homework home to practice, and bring their best-effort work back into the shared place of learning.
- Partnership and Collaboration: Everyone should be ready and willing to share their ideas and dreams with each other, as well as be a part of helping each other reach those dreams.
- Creativity: Everyone should actively seek to extend their knowledge in new ways, explore the known and unknown, and create works of art and assignments that demonstrate the diversity they bring into the classroom.
- Open-Mindedness: Everyone should respect and honor others' choices, new ways of thinking and doing, and always be ready to empathize and "put ourselves in each others' shoes."
Classes I Teach:
- Music Exploration (aka General Music): exploring music creation, fundamentals, production, and commonplace uses for music in our world.
- Orchestra: Beginning and Advanced. Performance and music study using violins, violas, cellos, and contrabasses. Students choose and develop skills on one instrument, typically.
- Band: Beginning, Intermediate, and Advanced. Performance and music study using flutes, oboes, clarinets, bassoons, saxophones, french horns, trumpets, trombones, baritones, tubas, and the entire percussion family. Students choose and develop skills on one instrument, typically.
- Jazz Ensemble
- Ramsey Musical
Degrees and Certifications:
2018, B.M.E. in Instrumental Music Education from University of Northwestern - St. Paul
2018, MDE License in Instrumental Music Education, Grades K - 12