Middle School Classrooms
Capitol Hill Grading Policy:
Beginning the 2017-2018 school year all middle school teachers at Capitol Hill will be using schoology to for grading, communication about due dates and curriculum content. This information will be assessable by students and families. Usernames and passwords are available at Onestop.
Middle school will also be using Standard Based Grading in all classes beginning this school year. Information will be presented at open house and in schoology.
Capitol Hill Standards Based Grading.
At Capitol Hill, we envision a student-centered grading system with clearly defined learning targets aligned to high quality, balanced curriculum. Teachers using Standards-based Grading can provide meaningful feedback so students and parents can track student progress towards mastery of key academic concepts, and reflect upon strengths and weaknesses.
What is Standards-based Grading?
Standards-based Grading communicates how students are performing on a set of clearly defined learning targets called standards. Standards-based Grading allows a clearer look at what a student actually achieves in relation to the learning targets.
How does standards-based grading differ from traditional grading?
Unlike traditional grading systems, a Standards-based Grading system measures a student’s mastery of grade-level learning targets. Students who may have struggled early in a class can take new opportunities to demonstrate mastery thereby being able to demonstrate mastery of key content/concepts by the end of a grading period.
Standards-based Grading allows teachers to meet their students where they are and move towards proficiency and beyond. It enables teachers to differentiate their instruction at a higher level than a traditional system.
How are my child’s grades determined?
A student’s performance on practice assignments or daily work and assessments will be used to determine a student’s overall grade in a course. Summative assessments count towards 80% of the child’s final grade. Practice assignments (homework) are just that, practice, and thus should serve primarily as a source of feedback and instructional support for both students and teachers. They will make up the remaining 20% of your child’s grade. Each teacher will communicate expectations about opportunities for re-assessments. For example, a teacher may require that all practice work related to a learning target be complete before a student is able to retake an assessment.
The Capitol Hill grading scale is as follows:
A+ 95 4
A- 87.5 3.5
B 73 3
C+ 54 2.5
C 50 2
C- 42 1.5
What will each of the numbers in the 4-point scale represent?
A score of (4) indicates that a student has Exceeded proficiency for the standard. The student demonstrates understanding and/or the ability to apply their knowledge at a higher level.
A score of (3) indicates that a student is Proficient in the standard at a basic level.
A score of (2) indicates that a student is Developing in the standard.
A score of (1) indicates that a student is Beginning in their understanding of the standard.
A score of (0) indicates that a student has not yet started to understand the standard or the learning is Not Observed.
How do I stay current with my child’s grades?
Schoology is now the Onestop for all grades and assignments. Access current grades and upcoming assignments by logging on to each of your child’s teachers.