About Nutrition Services
- Students in district: more than 37,000
- Students qualifying for free and reduced price meals: 65.5% (2020-21)
- Number of languages/dialects spoken by students: more than 125
Nutrition and Menu Planning
Saint Paul Public Schools (SPPS) Nutrition Services (NS) values whole, natural, nourishing foods. Our Menu Committee is lead by District Chef, Ricardo Abbott. Our team collaborates with students, parents, and community members to provide great food to the students of Saint Paul Public Schools.
Every menu is a collaborative culinary art that must:
- Include culturally relevant and appealing foods, with a focus on scratch cooking.
- Be conscientious of food allergies, sensitivities, and intolerances.
- Provide locally sourced agricultural products.
- Meet or exceed United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) requirements set forth in the Healthy Hunger-free Kids Act (HHFKA).
- Reflect Nutrition Service’s (NS) dedication and commitment to fiscal responsibility.
Fresh Fruits and Vegetables
- A wide variety of fresh fruits and vegetables are offered daily, students may choose as much as they like from the Choice Bar
- Farm to School program provides seasonal local produce
- Our central kitchen prepares entrees, soups, gravy, and sauces from scratch
- We also make home-made whole grain pizza crusts, French bread, Foccacia bread, homemade muffins and breakfast items