Benjamin Mays Profile
The Saint Paul community established Benjamin E. Mays IB World School in 1977. The school honors Dr. Mays as a leader in education and a great communicator.
Our school is an authorized Primary Years Programme (PYP) of the prestigious International Baccalaureate (IB) organization. Students at our IB World School acquire the skills of thinking, social action, communication, research and self-management.
The IB/PYP strives to help students develop an international perspective and become productive global citizens through rigorous curriculum. Specialists at Benjamin E. Mays provide students with instruction in art, physical education, and Spanish. Hundreds of volunteers read with and to our students every year, and our parents are a powerful force in our established school community.
Pathway: Benjamin E. Mays (Areas A,B,C,E,F) --> Hazel Park, Ramsey or Highland Middle School --> Harding, Central or Highland High School
- Benjamin E. Mays is an International Baccalaureate Primary Years Programme (PYP) school.
- Benjamin E. Mays is a Saint Paul Promise Neighborhood School
- The school has one all-day pre-k class and two half day pre-k classes
- Interactive Whiteboards in most classroom (K -5)
- Individual student iPads are available for Personalized Learning (Pre-K through 5)
- School uniforms are required Monday through Friday.
- The school offers enrichment classes in Art, Physical Education, and Spanish
- Every student in first and second has a weekly reading buddy as part of a partnership in the "Everybody Wins" program with the Minnesota Supreme Court and US Bank.
- Discovery Club offers a program before and after school (fee charged).
Mays at a Glance
- Grade Levels: PreK to 5
- Enrollment: 476
- School Hours: 8:30 a.m.- 3 p.m.
Students Who Identify As:
- American Indian 1%
- Asian American 16%
- African American 72%
- Hispanic American 6%
- Caucasian American 4%
Students Who Qualify For:
- Special Education 14%
- Free and Reduced Lunch 88%
- English Language Learning 22%
2015 MCA II Student Proficiency:
- Grade 3 reading test 25%
- Grade 3 math test 30%
- Grade 4 reading test 23%
- Grade 4 math test 28%
- Gade 4 math - moderate to high growth rate 64%
- Grade 5 reading test 29%
- Grade 5 math test 28%
- Grade 5 math - moderate to high growth rate 67%