Quick Facts About Open School
Address: 640 Humboldt Ave., St. Paul, MN 55107
School Hours: 7:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Students may enter the building after 7:15 am.
School Tours: By appointment. Please call the office 651-293-8670 to schedule.
Open World Learning Community is the original small school community in the district. In 1971, our school was founded by parents and community members to offer a small-school environment that nurtures every student’s learning potential in creative ways. Since 2009, OWL has been part of a national network of Expeditionary Learning Schools, which promote rigorous and engaging curriculum; active, inquiry-based pedagogy; and a school culture that demands and teaches compassion and good citizenship. EL schools are based on the Outward Bound model, which starts with the belief that we learn best through experience.
Our program is based on:
- Hands-on methods that encourage curiosity and discovery
- Self-directed learning guided by interests and abilities
- Multi-age classrooms that allow each child to excel at their own pace
- Learning opportunities between students of all ages
- Making certain every student is well prepared for life beyond high school.
We work to build a school where:
- There is racial, ethnic and economic balance
- Parents are invested and involved in their child’s education
- A safe, family-like atmosphere supports each student and where each is known and valued as a part of the school community.