The aims of any MYP subject and of the personal project state in a general way what the teacher may expect to teach or do, and what the student may expect to experience or learn. In addition they suggest how the student may be changed by the learning experience.
The aims of the teaching and study of sciences are to encourage and enable students to:
- develop inquiring minds and curiosity about science and the natural world
- acquire knowledge, conceptual understanding and skills to solve problems and make informed decisions in scientific and other contexts
- develop skills of scientific inquiry to design and carry out scientific investigations and evaluate scientific evidence to draw conclusions
- communicate scientific ideas, arguments and practical experiences accurately in a variety of ways
- think analytically, critically and creatively to solve problems, judge arguments and make decisions in scientific and other contexts
- appreciate the benefits and limitations of science and its application in technological developments
- understand the international nature of science and the interdependence of science, technology and society, including the benefits, limitations and implications imposed by social, economic, political, environmental, cultural and ethical factors
- demonstrate attitudes and develop values of honesty and respect for themselves, others, and their shared environment.
Physical Science 6
Physical Science 6 is a year long physical science course that covers basic middle school physics and chemistry concepts as well as the engineering design process and the nature of science. Students learn about the properties of matter, how materials and atoms interact in a physical change, types of energy, waves, light, forces, and motion. Students use observations, laboratory investigations, and problem solving to analyze and understand the science of everyday physics and chemical phenomena. This laboratory course prepares students for Life Science 7 or Accelerated Science 7.
Science 7, Accelerated
Science 7, Accelerated is a year-long introductory life science course that integrates middle school biology with chemistry and meteorology content and the history and nature of science. This course introduces basic science concepts through inquiry labs, models, and hand-on activities. The topics covered are cells, ecology, classification, human body, genetics and evolution, properties of matter, chemical changes, meteorology, and environmental concepts. Students will develop skills of scientific inquiry and laboratory investigation. This course is designed for students who have a strong interest in science and desire a more in-depth science experience. Science 7, Accelerated prepares students for Science 8, Accelerated and advanced high school science courses.
Science 8, Accelerated
Science 8, Accelerated is a year-long comprehensive earth and space science course that integrates basic high school physics and planetary motion concepts with an emphasis on astronomy and geology along with the history and nature of science. It introduces basic science concepts and skills through science inquiry, laboratory investigations, and scientific models. This course is designed for students with a strong interest in science who desire a more in-depth science experience. Science 8, Accelerated prepares students for Intermediate/Accelerated Biology or Intermediate/Accelerated Chemistry.