Phone: 651-293-8800 x4453
Degrees and Certifications:
Bachelor of Arts in English and History, University of Minnesota, Twin Cities Masters in Education, University of Minnesota, Twin Cities
Mrs. Chong Yang Thao
I teach 10th grade Academy of Finance English, Intermediate 10th grade English, and College in the Schools Literature and College in the Schools College Writing. I started teaching in 1997, all at Como Park Senior High School, and I am a long-time St. Paulite. I would like to travel more, but I am happiest at home with my family and in my garden.
1. Introduction to Literature: Poetry, Drama, Narrative
English 1001 is a University of Minnesota course and is offered for high school seniors who have demonstrated superior abilities in literary analysis and critical writing. Each semester, students read 7-10 books of multicultural, contemporary literature which may deal with issues relating to, among others, race and gender relations, religion, sexuality and coming of age, many of which may contain mature themes and images.
- To practice and obtain analytical discussion skills.
- To apply critical theories in both discussion and written works.
- To evaluate the literary merit of works read and move beyond making unsupported value judgments about the readings—beyond “I liked or disliked this book.”
- To formulate a stance on readings and defend it through the text, personal experience, and/or current and historical events.
2. College in the Schools-University Writing 1301
This course is designed for motivated students willing to explore topics critically and to express themselves fluently. Throughout this semester, you will hone writing skills already developed in previous years. Expect this class to be fun, interesting, and challenging. This academic experience is one gateway to representing yourself in a college setting. Because of the intensity of this course, a positive attitude will help in your success.
- Explore and practice various types of academic writing.
- Use parenthetical citation with a variety of sources.
- Read critically to identify an author’s audience, purpose, arguments, and assumptions.
- Develop strategies for generating and organizing ideas and arguments, revising, editing, and proofreading.
- Work independently and cooperatively.
- Understand the importance of constructive criticism from peers and instructors to improve.
- Write effectively using the conventions of standard written American English.
- Be prepared for future post-secondary writing expectations.
3. Academy of Finance English 10
Course Description: This course is a recommended prerequisite for upper-level English courses. This fast-paced course includes multicultural literature, fiction and non-fiction, and incorporates public speaking and financial literacy as essential components. Students must be committed to completing outside of class, on-going, self-directed tasks which will incorporate a wide variety of writing and critical reading skills required for graduation standards and upper-level courses. This course will incorporate topics aligning with the tenth grade focus on global finance. We will stay abreast of current finance topics and focus on our hard skills of professionalism in written and verbal communications, as well as soft skills of professional codes of conduct and self-branding.
3. Intermediate ELL Co-taught English 10
Course Description: This course is a recommended prerequisite for upper-level English courses. This course includes multicultural literature, fiction and non-fiction, and incorporates public speaking as an essential component. Students must be committed to completing outside of class, on-going, self-directed tasks which will incorporate a wide variety of writing and critical reading skills required for graduation standards and upper-level courses.
My grades are posted on Schoology.
Period 1 10th grade Academy of Finance English: https://schoology.spps.org/course/1748092988/materials
Period 3 10th grade Academy of Finance English: https://schoology.spps.org/course/1748092990/materials
College in the Schools Literature, Drama, and Poetry: https://schoology.spps.org/course/1748093082/materials
Period 6 10th grade ELL English: https://schoology.spps.org/course/1748092998/materials
Period 7 10th grade ELL English: https://schoology.spps.org/course/1748093000/materials