About Cherokee Heights
As the West Side’s Montessori school, Cherokee Heights is dedicated to guiding and growing greatness in our children.
In our Montessori classrooms, each child makes decisions about their learning based upon their individual strengths, likes and learning styles. Through multi-grade classrooms, students develop relationships with the same teacher and classmates over a two- or three-year period.
All-day Pre-K is available so children can begin the work of learning at a critical age. Our community school track offers rich, standards-based instruction in traditional classroom settings for students in Grades 3-5. Beginning in E1, students have physical education, which includes water safety lessons in our school swimming pool. Free after-school program extends academic learning time and help students build social skills.
For the 2018-19 school year, our Montessori program will serve Pre-K to grade 3 with expansion into grades 4-5 in the future.
- The school has an indoor pool where students can take American Red Cross swimming classes.
- Students utilize iPads for developing technology skills that support learning.
- After-school programs (EDL) extend learning time and build social skills.
- Students can get one-on-one help in reading and math from tutors through various volunteer organizations.
- Musical instrument lessons are available to give students an early start on learning to play an instrument during EDL.
Our Motto: Guiding and Growing Greatness
Our Mission: Together we teach and guide learners to develop academic achievement and social responsibility
- Focusing on high achievement and equity for each student
- Building trusting, positive, open-minded relationships through communication and collaboration with staff, students, families and community members
- Teaching learners by focusing on individual strengths to inspire confidence
- Meeting the needs of students through reflective, inquiry-based practice
Our school believes:
- By engaging students in a challenging curriculum that includes high expectations, students develop a higher sense of purpose, nurtured in the diverse experiences that will enrich them for life.
- Through embracing tradition, we uphold the seamless relationships between all members of our school community.
- With integrity, Cherokee Staff strives to make a difference with every child in our rich, diverse community.
Nuestra escuela tiene la convicción de que:
- Al motivar a nuestros alumnos para que llenen un programa ambicioso, demostramos confianza en su potencial y los estudiantes desarrollan un más alto sentido de dirección, alimentado en las diversas experiencias escolares que los enriquecerán de por vida.
- Al aceptar nuestras tradiciones mejoramos las relaciones entre los miembros de la comunidad escolar.
- El personal de Cherokee lucha por infundir integridad en cada uno de los niños de nuestra variada comunidad.
Peb Lub Tsev Kawm Ntawv Ntseeg:
- Raws kev txhawb menyuam uake sib kheem rau cov kev kawm txhua yam kom kawm tau siab, muab cov menyuam xyaum ua kom paub rau qhov yuav kawm tau siab, paub qhia ntau yam sib txawv uas yuav pab tau rau lawv lub neej.
- Nyob li kev txais tos ntau haiv neeg kab lis kev cai, peb cov neeg txhua tus muaj kev koom siab sib raug zoo hauv peb lub tsev kawm ntawv.
- Nrog kev ncaj ncees, Cherokee cov neeg ua hauj lwm rau siab, ua hauj lwm nrog rau cov menyuam txhua tus xws li peb muaj, ntau hom neeg uake.
Free & Reduced Meal Applications
Click here to complete an easy on-line application.
Cherokee at a Glance
CHEROKEE HEIGHTS MAGNET ELEMENTARY Year Percent Proficient Number Proficient Number Tested 2013 26.2% 66 252 2014 26.1% 40 153 2015 30.7% 43 140 2016 27.5% 38 138 2017 16.4% 19 116