Como Second Grade
Welcome to the Como Park Second Grade Page!
Here is what a typical day in second grade consists of:
The day starts with breakfast in the room followed by announcements and morning meeting to jumpstart the day.
Our academics are as follows:
- Phonics instruction from Fountas and Pinnell.
- Reader’s Workshop consists of mini lessons based on state standards and small guided reading groups based on the student’s reading level. The students practice independent reading for stamina, through book boxes, library, RAZ Kids and other reading apps that are applicable to develop their reading skills.
- Writer’s Workshop consists of mini lessons based on state standards and taught through writing units such as research, persuasion, poetry and narratives, etc…
- Everyday Math establishes a varied and fun format for hands-on math discovery. The spiraling curriculum provides repeated exposures to essential math concepts and allows children to learn at their own pace. We use pre and post-test assessments to monitor the students for mastery.
- Social Studies consists of lessons taught based on state standards incorporating the resource, Studies Weekly and other resources provided by the school district.
- Other learning opportunities include, field trips to support our academics in the classroom.
Feel free to stop by and say "Hi!"
Unite for Literacy: