School Continuous Improvement Plan
Gordon Parks 2016-17
SCIP Target Page
School Mission: Honoring the legacy of Gordon Parks by providing pathways to graduation and opportunities for lifelong success.
GOAL 1: READING - The percentage of students proficient on Reading MCA will increase by 10% in April 2017.
- All teachers receive training and implement close reading strategies using Newsela or other content specific reading
- Teachers implement strategies for writing evidence based claims after close reading to show comprehension
- Professional learning communities data cycle will include reading strategies
Evidence: Close reading using Newsela or other content specific reading and writing claims with text based evidence.
GOAL 2: MATH - The percentage of students proficient on Math MCA will increase by 5% in April 2017.
- Teachers will engage in problem solving professional development
- Create problem solving activities that could be used across disciplines
- Implement problem solving activities in social studies and math classes
- Teachers will visit colleagues conducting problem solving activities
- Students will use five easy steps to a balanced math program and problem solving
- Teachers will implement problem solving structures
- Teachers will visit each other’s classrooms during problem solving activities
GOAL 3: DATA-BASED ACCOUNTABILITY AND EVALUATION (COLLEGE AND CAREER READINESS) – Identify seniors with 32 or less credits left. Increase percentage of senior cohort staying on track and graduating
- English teachers incorporate Naviance milestones into classroom curriculum
- College and career readiness counselor will update student lists in Naviance and check on student progress as part of graduation checklist through student meetings
- Counselors will maintain a senior cohort spreadsheet with credit completion and estimated graduation date data
- Senior cohort students will participate in college and career activities throughout the year
- Advisory teachers will advise students on their CLP progress (Continuous Learning Plan)
- Senior cohort students will be placed in the same advisories and English 12 class
- Senior cohort students remain on track for graduation
- Naviance milestone completion increases
GOAL 4: CULTURE AND CLIMATE/PBIS- Decrease office discipline referrals. Increase student attendance.
- Professional development on PBIS strategies
- School expectations posters created and posted around the school; lessons created to teach expectations
- All teachers use the office discipline referral procedures
- PBIS team creates tier 1 school wide interventions regarding attendance incentives
- Orientation revised to include interventions for students that have dropped and re-enrolled
- Staff implement structures regarding school expectations and behavioral procedures
- PBIS team members implement strategies to improve student attendance
15-16 GORDON PARKS HIGH SCHOOL
LINK TO THE CURRENT GPHS SCHOOL COMPREHENSIVE IMPROVEMENT PLAN