iPad and Other Technology Resources
There is so much to learn! Here are some links to helpful sites as we begin and continue this techno-journey.
iPad APPS RESOURCES
- iPads4Teaching - Kathy Schrock's fantastic collection of resources, suggestions, tried and true
- APPitic - a directiory of apps for education compiled by Apple Distinguished Educators (ADEs), broken down into subject areas
- Apps That Rise to the Top: Tested and Approved By Teachers | MindShift
- Eductional Technology and Mobile Learning - iPad Resources sorted by subject
- iPad Apps for Schools
- 30-Day Twitter Challenge - 30 days to more competent Tweeting!
- Edina Public Schools - Lots of great links and explanatory videos. A Google
- SAMR Model and ideas for how to integrate technology in the classroom
SPPS iPad Resources
- Core iPad Apps in SPPS - A one pager with helpful info about core apps in Self Service, with core skills and resources identified by the Department of Personalized Learning to support curriculum and instruction.
- SPPS OverDrive Tutorial
- SPPS Personalized Learning site
- Approved SPPS iPad Apps List
- Using YouTube in the Classroom - Great resources for using YouTube and other excellent video resources in the classroom.
- Cybrary Man - The internet catalogue for students, teachers, administrators, and parents. Over 20,000 relevant links personally selected by an educator/author with over 30 years of experience. Includes comprehensive list of Educational Twitter Hashtags.
- Teaching Like It's 2999 - Redefining the Digital Classroom - Jennie Magiera is a teacher in the Chicago Public Schools, an Apple Distinguished Educator, a Google Certified Teacher, etc. etc. She has so much good advice on her blog! Go there now!!!
- Kathy Schrock's Guide to Everything - Kathy Schrock has been teaching/using technology for a long time, and she, too, has an AMAZING storehouse of information on her site. It's almost too hard to decide where to go first, but don't miss this!!
- Blue Skunk Blog - Doug Johnson is the Director of Media and Technology for the Mankato Public Schools. His observations and advice for those of us trying to do the technology thing well - or at least not horribly!! - is invaluable (and funny, too!).
- ELL/LA iPad Resources (collected by Sandy Lucas) - When I was collaborating in the SPPS iPad Pilot/Language Academy Classroom at Frost Lake Elementary in 2010-'11, my amazing co-teacher, Allison Theissen, and I were trying everything! These are some of the apps we liked/used.
- English Teaching 101 - A blog/website put together by a guy who quit law school to follow his dream of teaching English as another language. CHOCK FULL of great ideas!
Sites/Apps to Use on iPad
- News ELA - Leveled daily news articles (non-fiction)
- SeeSaw - Student-driven portfolios that can be managed by the teacher.
- Aurasma - App - Augmented reality! Watch this first grade teacher explain how she started using Aurasma.
- Listenwise - An award-winning listening skills platform with a collection of podcasts and public radio stories keeps teaching connected to the real world and builds student listening skills at the same time. With graphic organizers and vocabulary.
- EdPuzzle - Make any video (YouTube, your own, etc.) a lesson!