Here at Highland....
...we follow the middle school philosophy. We organize students into smaller learning communities called teams. Each student on the team shares the same English, humanities, and science teacher. Moreover, each student meets with their Foundations teacher each day. The Foundations teacher serves as their mentor and monitors the student's social and emotional growth. The teams create a strong sense of belonging for students and provide support to help them make a smooth transition from elementary to middle school.
...we offer a rigorous academic program across all academic levels with an emphasis on enhancing students' critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Advanced-level courses are available in the core subjects of English, science, math, and humanities. These courses prepare students for a rigorous high school.
...we are an International Baccalaureate Middle Years Program (IB-MYP). The Middle Years Program (MYP) requires students to participate in eight subject areas during the year. We develop characteristics and traits that enable our students to analyze concepts locally and internationally.
...we offer the continuation of both Spanish and Chinese Immersion programs. Students have the opportunity to take up to four classis in the target language.
... as part of the school's IB-MYP program requirement, students at Highland Park Middle are enrolled in one of the following world language courses: Spanish, Chinese, or French.
...we participate annually in the History Day competition, the District Spelling Bee, the Model United Nations conference, Geography Bee, and Lego League.
...we offer a full array of athletics and clubs available to all students. In addition, 7th and 8th grade students have access to athletics offered at Highland Park Senior High that are not offered at the Highland Park Middle School. We also an after school program called Fl!pside.
At Highland Park Middle School, it our mission is to:
- provide our students with a sense of community and global perception in a nurturing and caring learning environment.
- help students acquire the skills necessary to value themselves, and take pride in their accomplishments.
- develop respect and understanding of other people and their cultures.
Through a diversified curriculum, all students will develop the skills, knowledge, and understanding to become lifelong learners.
Imagine a school where all students and families feel valued; where all students meet and exceed standards; where all students are engaged in rigorous academics integrated with enriching opportunities.
In order to achieve our mission and vision of high achievement for all our students we will…
- promote a positive school climate that ensures all staff, students and families feel welcome, safe and valued.
- communicate with students, families and the community to encourage involvement.
- acknowledge the accomplishments of our students and staff.
- offer activities and programs that expand our understanding and appreciation of other cultures.
- ensure student learning by offering courses that both challenge students and meet their needs.
- use a common language to promote shared understanding of expectations.
- provide experiences that offer a global perspective, expand our understanding of other cultures and build internationally minded students.
- work collaboratively with each other to identify the essential standards and create classrooms that continually reflect best practice.