Section 504 Process
- Identify and refer potential students.
- Evaluate for eligibility.
- Develop Individual Accommodation Plan (IAP).
- Annual review of Individual Accommodation Plan.
Who can make a referral for a Section 504 evaluation?
- School staff
- Community members and professionals
Referrals should be made by the school district staff when there is reason to believe that the student might be disabled and require an accommodation or extra services to receive free and appropriate public education (FAPE).
What are the possible results of an evaluation?
- The student does not have a physical or mental impairment which substantially limits one or more major life activities or major bodily functions. The student is not eligible for an Individual Accommodation Plan.
- The student has a physical or mental impairment which substantially limits on or more major life activities or major bodily functions and the student is eligible for an Individual Accommodation Plan.
- The student is referred to the special education team.
Does the parent/guardian need to give permission for their student to be evaluated for a Section 504 Plan?
Yes. The evaluation is completed by a team of people knowledgeable about the student when the parent/guardian has given written permission.
Who are the Section 504 building representatives?
- The Section 504 building representatives include: Licensed School Nurses, Licensed School Counselors, School Social Workers, School Administrators, and teachers.
What are the responsibilities of the Section 504 building representatives?
- Coordinate referrals, evaluations, and annual review team meetings.
- Assist in development of Individual Accommodation Plan.
- Serve as a resource to the staff and families in the building.
- Maintain and transfers all 504 plan and files.
What are the responsibilities of the teacher for a student with a Section 504 Individual Accommodation Plan?
The teacher must implement all accommodations listed in the Individual Accommodation Plan. Failure to do so causes the school and district to be out of compliance with the federal mandate.
Who ensures that staff implements the Section 504 Individual Accommodation Plan?
The principal is responsible for ensuring that the Section 504 process is followed in their building.