• Please note that we are in the process of updating this webpage.  Keep checking back for the most accurate and up to date information...

Where to find help for you and your family:

  • INFORMATION ON ALL RESOURCES in the St. Paul/Minneapolis area and beyond


    First Call For Help, United Way of Greater Twin Cities Area


    This is a great resource to find out about organizations near you that can help you whether you are in a crisis, or if you are just looking for information.  You can visit their website, call, or text to find useful resources in the St. Paul/Minneapolis area and beyond.  They are available 24 hours a day/7 days a week, and information is available in multiple languages.  

    To call:  Dial 1-800-543-7709 or locally 651-291-0211

    To text:  Text your zip code to 898-2911*


    Domestic Abuse

    If you or someone you know is living in an abusive environment, there are people who will help you.  You have the right and you deserve to be safe in your own home.  If you are in immediate danger, call 911.  


    If you live in St. Paul or Ramsey County, you can call 651-645-2824 (24 hours a day/7 days a week, interpreters available).  They can help you with services and finding a shelter where you can be safe.  They will also help with filing an OFP (Order For Protection, commonly called a 'restraining order').  See their website for additional information regarding their services.  



    If you live outside of St. Paul, you can call 1-866-223-1111 (24 hours a day/7 days a week, interpreters available).  They will be able to direct you to services and shelters where you can be safe.


    If you live in Minneapolis or Hennepin County, you can call the Domestic Abuse Service Center at 612-348-5073 (Monday through Friday 8 am-4:30 pm) or visit their office in-person in the lower level of the Hennepin County Government Center.  They provide information, referrals, and assist with an OFP (Order For Protection, commonly called a 'restraining order').  They have interpreters available through the County Attorney's office.  


    Out of School Programs for St. Paul Children and Youth

    If you are looking for free and low cost activities to keep your children busy and engaged when they are not in school, here are some great alternatives to more screen time. 



    The Sprockets website provides resources for parents looking for after-school and summer enrichment opportunities for their children.  



    St. Paul Public Library and Ramsey County Library Systems

    All libraries provide great, free programming for children and adults, in addition to free access to books, the internet, music, and movies.  St. Paul Public Libraries have Homework Help Centers to help learners of all ages with their academic skills.  Check out the library nearest you to see what’s available.  Information about the library and assistance with obtaining a library card are available in multiple languages.




    St. Paul Parks and Recreation

    St. Paul Parks and Recreation Department offers numerous free indoor and outdoor recreational activities for children and their families at neighborhood centers and parks.  There are many organized activities or you can explore all sorts of activities on your own.  Almost all children’s activities are free but there may be financial assistance for low-income participants if a fee is charged.



    Right Track Youth Employment Program, Joint Program through St. Paul Parks and Recreation and St Paul Public Schools

    Right Track is an employment program for St. Paul youth.  Participants get help with developing essential employment skills.



    U LEAD, Ramsey County Youth Employment Program

    U LEAD is an employment and training program for youth ages 14-24 who live in Ramsey County.  Participants will receive career and employability training and learn how to present themselves in a professional environment.  There are eligibility requirements to be admitted to the program.  You can call 651-266-6052 for more information or you can access application on the link below.  They are currently developing a U LEAD website.



    Youth Intervention Services

    If your child is struggling in school or is refusing to go to school or their behavior has changed significantly, it is important to talk to staff at your child’s school.  Schools will provide interpreters if you ask.  It may also become necessary to talk to your child’s doctor if the behavior lasts for a long time and affects your child’s daily functioning (appetite, sleep, interaction with friends and family).  Start with asking your child’s teachers if they have noticed the same behavior changes and how things are going for them in school.  You can also talk to the school counselor or social worker to ask about available programs or resources to help you and your child before the issue becomes a serious problem that affects their academic development.  You do not have to wait until the teacher calls you or for school conferences to talk to your child’s teachers.  It is OK and encouraged for parents to talk with school staff about their child’s progress and well-being.  Below are some programs that may be able to assist you and your child. 


    Youth Engagement Program, Ramsey County

    The Youth Engagement Program is a program designed to prevent kids from becoming truant (missing too much school and involved in the court system) or running away.  They will first do an assessment to see if your child qualifies for their services.  You can call for an assessment at 651-266-5308.


    Emergency Housing Shelters and Services for People who are Homeless

    For Families in Ramsey County (who are not already in a shelter):

    Shelter space is reserved for Ramsey County families with minor children. To determine eligibility, call the United Way at 651-291-0211.

    For those experiencing domestic violence, Day One Services may be able to help find a safe place for families while fleeing abuse. Call Day One Services at 1-866-223-1111.

    Families who are sleeping in a place not meant for human habilitation (streets, car, camping, public transit, etc.) or staying at a domestic violence shelter and are looking for supportive housing can call 651-215-2262.

    Space for Ramsey County homeless family emergency shelter is limited and beds are not immediately available. Completing an intake with Ramsey County shelter staff is the only way to be placed on the shelter waitlist. 

    For Singles in Ramsey County (who are not already in a shelter):

    Single adults who are 25 years or older and seeking immediate shelter can call Catholic Charities - Higher Ground (formerly the Dorothy Day Center) at 651-647-2350 or Union Gospel Mission at 651-292-1721.

    Single adults who are 25 years or older, currently experiencing homelessness and staying in a shelter, will need to complete a housing assessment to determine long-term housing options. Contact a housing assessor at 651-647-2350.

    Coordinated Entry Housing Assessment 

    Single adults who are 25 years or older, currently experiencing homelessness and not staying in shelter, will need to complete a housing assessment to determine long-term housing options. Single adults not staying in shelter can contact Caroline with Minnesota Community Care at the walk-in hours listed below. Phone: 651-793-2219 |  Email: homeless@mncare.org.

    Caroline's current walk-in hours are:

    • Mondays, 12:30 p.m. - 3 p.m. at Dayton's Bluff Library - Computer lab, 645 E 7th Street, St. Paul, MN 55106

    • Tuesdays, 1 p.m. - 4 p.m. at Minnesota Community Care Downtown Clinic, 424 Dorothy Day Place - St. Paul, MN 55102

    • Thursdays, 2 p.m. - 4 p.m. at George Latimer Central Library - 2nd Floor, 90 W 4th Street, St. Paul, MN 55102



    For Youth

    Anyone age 24 or younger can connect with a variety of resources by visiting the Youth Services Network website or by downloading the YSN mobile app for free. Youth who need emergency help with food, clothing or finding a place to stay can call Safe Zone at 651-224-9644 or visit the SafeZone Drop-In Center for Homeless Youth, 130 East 7th Street, Saint Paul, MN 55101

    Youth ages 12-24 who are homeless or at-risk of becoming homeless may also contact the Youth Resource Line through the YMCA 8 a.m.-8 p.m. seven days a week at 763-493-3052. YMCA staff will assist in problem-solving information on community resources and referrals; resources include food shelves, housing, employment, legal services, education, and health care.