Como Park Senior High Newsletter 5/20/2016
End of Year Academic Awards Events
- *Rescheduled* All Student Honors Night -
Monday, May 23rd at 6:00pm in Cafeteria
- The All Student Honors Program has been changed to, Monday, May 23rd at 6:00 in the School Auditorium. Look for an updated postcard in the U.S. mail soon. Sorry for any inconvenience.
- Grades 9-11 Top Ten Recognition Night
- Thursday, June 2nd at 6:30pm in Cafeteria
- The top ten ranked students in grades 9-11 will be recognized at this evening recognition program. Refreshments begin at 6:30pm and the recognition program begins at 7pm.
- The board of the Saint Anthony Park Community Foundation has awarded the Como Park High School ELL Department a grant of $350 to buy bluetooth keyboards to use with iPads. Yay writing!!!
- PROM IS COMING! The annual dance/celebration will take place on Saturday, May 21st from 7-10pm at the Minnesota Science Museum. Get all the information you need here!
- The cadets of MCJROTC conducted their annual awards ceremony that recognized cadets who excelled in leadership, community service, academics and military virtue. Cadets received certificates and medals from national patriotic organizations such as the American Legion, Sons and Daughters of the American Revolution, Veterans of Foreign Wars, and several others. Three cadets received $1000 academic scholarships (Kaitlyn Thomas, Eddy Vue, and Allen Weyaus). Following the awards ceremony, cadets marched in a change of command parade (to martial music) where leadership was transferred from Cadet LtCol Kaitlyn Thomas (16) to Cadet Major Eduardo Mendoza Balderas (17). The event was attended by Dr. Theresa Battle and Colonel Paul Adams USMC Ret from the leadership at SPPS with about 100 family members and community representatives. As always the celebration of busy year culminated in a feast hosted by the cadets and former cadets. Click here to see some photos from the event!
- Conny’s Creamy Cone Fundraiser for Senior All-Night Graduation Party — Stop by Conny’s Creamy Cone on Wed. June 1 and enjoy an ice cream or a treat — mention “Como Senior All-Night Grad Party” when you place your order! A portion of the day’s sales will be donated for the Party. Our thanks to Conny’s to being a great supporter of Como High and its students!
Get Involved, Kids!
- Academy of Finance
- On May 5, 6 AOF Juniors visited Dress for Success and received a wardrobe for this summer intern positions. This is the first time Dress for Success let High School students be involved.
- On May 11, 2 representatives from MN United came in and talk to AOF and soccer players about the business behind the soccer team. On May 14, students went to a MN United game. We are looking forward to a partnership with them when they come into our backyard soon!
- On May 17, AOF 9th graders and student council packed for Feed My Starving Children.
- Seniors — to register for your All-Night Graduation party ticket, Senior Registration forms are available HERE!: Senior All-Night Graduation Party Tickets are available for $50 in advance or $60 (cash) at the door. Scholarship money is available to ensure that seniors have the opportunity to attend. Any questions - please email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks!
- Interested in getting more involved in the decisions that impact student lives all over SPPS? The Student Engagement and Advancement Board is recruiting students for next school year. Students grade 10-12 are eligible to apply. Applications are due June 15th - here is the application!
Get Involved, Parents!
- Only two FREE yoga classes left this school year! All classes will take place in the school library starting at 2:15pm on the dates listed - 5/25 and 6/1. Students should plan to bring water and a small towel, if available. Please plan to dress as if attending a PE/gym class. Email me at email@example.com if you have any questions or need more information.
- Summer food resources. Check out these local resources to feed a family during the summer.
- The 34th Annual 'Senior All-Night Graduation Party’ is only 1 month away and we need over 100 volunteers! This event (sponsored by the Booster Club) provides our graduating seniors with a safe, fun environment to celebrate with friends. Parents from all classes are asked to help make this event a success. You can help before, during, and after the party with Food, Decorating, Registration, Chaperoning, Prizes, Activities, Coat Check, Clean up and Donations. Click on our VolunteerSpot link to sign up! http://vols.pt/zg6dvB You are also welcome to join our next planning meeting on Monday, May 23rd at 6:30PM in the Athletic Office. Any questions - please email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks!
- Senior All-Night Party: For 34 years Como Park Senior High School has had an all-night party for seniors following the graduation ceremony. It is a safe, supervised night of fun held in the school. The party organized by parents relies on local businesses and family for donations. We are seeking support from families for food or baked goods. Food and baked goods can be delivered to the school office on June 9th. Please make sure to include your name with any donation so we can acknowledge your donation. Please direct any questions to: email@example.com Thank you in advance!
Upcoming Events - mark your calendar!
- The Senior BBQ will be
held on Friday, June 3 from 10am - 12pm. If you'd like to make a monetary
donation, please make checks payable to Como Park Senior High with a memo for
the Senior BBQ
and send them to Shelly Storelee. Your support is much appreciated!
- All Student Recognition Night - Cafeteria at 6pm on Monday, May 23rd.
- No Parent meetings on May 24
Parent Coordinator Sandy Kestner: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note: This newsletter is put together by a busy counselor who believes that parents and students can make the Como Park HS community better when they know what is going on each week. News is collected via responses to an all-staff email as well as from active parents who regularly share news about non-staff affiliated groups. If you have something new you’d like to see in the newsletter, send an email to email@example.com.
- *Rescheduled* All Student Honors Night - Monday, May 23rd at 6:00pm in Cafeteria