American School Counseling Association (ASCA)
ASCA National Model: A Framework for School Counseling Program
The purpose of the ASCA model, as described in The ASCA National Model (2nd Edition) is "to create one vision and one voice for school counseling programs...[the model] is written to reflect a comprehensive approach to program foundation, delivery, management and accountability." A guidance department based on the ASCA model is:
- Comprehensive in scope,
- preventative in design,
- developmental in nature,
- an integral part of the total educational program,
- designs a delivery system,
- is implemented by a state-credentialed school counselor,
- is conducted in collaboration,
- monitors student progress,
- is driven by data,
- seeks improvement, and
- shares successes.
Click on the sub-menus below to learn more about the elements of the ASCA National Model.