August 12, 2016
Greetings Linwood Monroe Arts Plus Families,
Welcome to the 2016-2017 school year! In just a few weeks we will embark on another exciting school year of learning, sharing and growing.
Our staff, local community partnerships and volunteers have been working very hard this summer to continue building upon our legacy as a premier arts magnet for ALL students. To support you in successfully starting a new school year, I wanted to communicate some key dates and events happening at both campuses.
BACK TO SCHOOL EVENTS
- Our all school Meet and Greet (Open House) is scheduled for Thursday, September 1st from 5:00pm-6:30pm (K-3 at Linwood, 1023 Osceola Avenue) and 5:30pm-7:00pm (Grades Pre-K; 4-8 at Monroe, 810 Palace Avenue). Be sure to stop by to meet your child’s teachers, drop off school supplies (supply list enclosed) and reconnect with and get to know other Linwood Monroe staff, students and families.
- Kindergarten Parent Meetings are scheduled for Tuesday, September 6th and Wednesday, September 7th. Check enclosed Kindergarten letter for conference times.
- Pre-K Meetings for families are on September 6th and 7th. A telephone call from the office will be made to set up an appointment.
BACK TO SCHOOL FORMS
Emergency cards, permission slips, etc. will be sent home with students on Friday, September 9th. Please check your student’s backpack, complete forms and return to your student’s teacher by Friday, September 16th.
- Teacher assignments for K-5 students are shown on the envelope’s address label. Sixth through eighth grade students will get a draft of their schedules on September 1st at our Meet and Greet (Open House).
- School bus routes will be separate for both campuses this year. School start time for the Lower Campus will be adjusted to have the same start and end times as the Upper Campus, 9:30am-4:00pm. Drop-off times begin at 9:15am at both campuses. Please see enclosed letter.
- As a reminder, Early Start will not be offered this school year for PreK-3rd grade students. The Discovery Club is a district-wide program offered as one of the options that LMAP families can access for before and after school programming for elementary students. To learn more about the Discovery Club program or apply, please go to the website at discoveryclub.spps.org or call (651) 632-3793.
- Additionally, some of our LMAP families and staff worked with St. Peter’s Lutheran Church to provide a competitive alternative for before-school programming for elementary students that was more affordable. To learn more about St. Peter’s STILLTS program and how to register, please visit saintpeterslutheranchurch.com/stilts.html. An open house for the program will be hosted on August 22 at 6pm at 530 South Victoria Street.
- Our Flipside partner, ACES (Athletes Committed to Educating Students) will be hosting before school programming for 4th–8th grade students beginning September 6th. ACES will host programming free of charge, Monday-Friday from 7:30am – 9:15 am. Registration will be available at our Open House or in the Monroe Main office. All students are invited to participate, transportation to school must be provided by families.
- LMAP begins its third year of the district-wide 1:1 iPad initiative. iPads will be distributed in October; specific dates will be communicated soon.
- Camp 6 will be held throughout the first week of school. Camp 6 activities prioritize support for sixth graders’ successful transition from elementary to middle school.
- Fall sports registration for middle school students begins at our Open House on September 1st and ends on September 16th. Please make sure your student has a physical on file.
Lastly, I hope you enjoy the final weeks of this beautiful Minnesota summer. We are very excited to welcome you to another awesomely art-filled school year.
Go Green Wave!
Bryan E. Bass, Principal
Linwood Monroe Arts Plus
From the Principal
It is an honor to become a member of this outstanding school community. Linwood Monroe Arts Plus (LMAP) celebrates a rich history of arts-infused education for all learners.
As a long-time educator I have extensive experience in leading schools that embrace the arts. This experience has driven my belief in the power of the arts to transform educational outcomes for all students.
Most recently, I have served as principal of Crosswinds East Metro Arts and Science School in the East Metro Integration District. I have also served as principal of Brooklyn Center Junior/Senior High School, where I was a part of a leadership team that created an arts magnet program. This program twice won Magnet School of Excellence Awards from Magnet Schools of America.
I earned a Bachelor of Arts from St. Olaf College, a Master of Arts from Saint Mary’s University, and an Education Specialist degree and licensure from the University of Saint Thomas. I expect to complete the dissertation for a Doctor of Education degree at St. Cloud State University this autumn.
When I’m not working, I enjoy spending time with my wife Katherine and our two daughters, competing in events and races such as marathons and triathlons, and listening to live music.
I look forward to serving the LMAP school community as your new principal.
Bryan E. Bass