Habits and Processes of Writing
The students will:
- Write daily.
- Generate their own topics and spend the necessary amount of time to revisit and refine their writing.
- Extend and rework pieces of writing (for example, turn a paragraph from a memoir into a fully-developed piece).
- Routinely rework, revise, edit, and proofread their work.
- Publish 10-12 pieces during the year for an audience in and beyond the classroom.
- Write for specific purposes of his or her own, such as a thank-you letter or a birthday card.
- Consciously appropriate specific elements of a favorite author's craft to refine the quality of their own work.
- Apply both public and personal criteria to judge the quality of their writing.
Units of Study
- WritingPurposes and Resulting Genres: Newspaper writing, Personal Narrative,Comic writing, Letter Writing, All-About Books, and Response toLiterature.
- Language Use and Conventions.
The main components of the Writer's Workshop include a Mini-lesson, Writing and Conferencing, and Peer Sharing.