Why is it important to learn French? Did you know that ...?
- There are over 300 million people in the world in more than 50 countries on five continents that speak French
- The ability to speak French, in addition to English is an advantage on the international job market. A knowledge of French opens the doors of French-speaking companies in France and other French-speaking parts of the world.
- There are over 47 million French speakers nearby, in Canada, the Carribbean, South America, and even closer to us, in Louisiana, and New England!
- French is the Romance language most similar to English; about 45% of all English words can be traced directly to French, so learning French will improve your English language skills
- French is among the official languages of the United Nations, UNESCO, the International Olympic Committee, the International Red Cross, the Organization for African Unity, to name a few organizations
- A second language is often a requirement for college, and through its connections to English, French can boost your success at your studies
- French gives you access to discoveries and prominent persons in the world of art, science, architecture, technology, music, food, literature, government, diplomacy, fashion, and film
French connects you to the history of the United States and other places around the world, and the thousands of places whose names are derived from French
- Whatever your reasons for studying French, you will have an exciting journey as you discover the French language and Francophone cultures and become a global citizen.
Bon voyage! Bonne chance! Vive le français!