Why is it important to learn French? Did you know that ...?
- there are over 200 million people in the world in more than 50 countries on five continents that speak French
- there are over 20 million French speakers nearby, in Canada, Afric, the Carribbean, South America, and even closer to us, in Louisiana, and New England
- French is the Romance language most similar to English; at least 30% of all English words can be traced directly to French, so learning French will improve your English-language skills
- French is among the official languages of the United Nations, UNESCO, the International Olympic Committee, the International Red Cross, the Organization for African Unity, to name a few organizations
- a second language is often a requirement for college, and through its connections to English, can boost your success at your studies
- French gives you access to discoveries and prominent persons in the world of art, science, architecture, technology, music, food, literature, government, diplomacy, fashion, and film
- French connects you to the history of the United States and the thousands of places whose names are derived from French
Whatever your reasons for studying French, have a good journey as you discover the language and culture.
Bon voyage! Bonne chance!