COMO PARK SR HIGH SCHOOL NEWSLETTER 9/30/2016
**HOMECOMING WEEK! Homecoming Week is October 3-8. Come join in the Cougar Spirit. Homecoming parade and picnic starts at 11:00 on Saturday, October 8, followed by the Football game at 2:00 at Griffin Stadium.
- Congratulations to Sumaya Mohamed who was selected to be the media representative for Youth In Government this year. This is a great accomplishment as 2,000 plus students from around the state participate in the program.
- Amelia Schucker, a ninth grade student at Como Park Senior High School, will be participating in a String Day Festival on Monday, October 31, 2016. The University of St. Thomas will be hosting entries from throughout Minnesota and Dr. Matthew George will be conducting. It promises to be an exciting opportunity for Amelia and she will be an excellent representative for the Como Orchestra.
Get Involved, Kids!
- 9th and 10th grade students: Sign up for a class which will help you succeed in challenging classes! Como will be starting an EDL (extended day learning) class for 9th and 10th graders on October 10th. This after school class will meet on Monday and Wednesday from 2:10-4:10. Using AVID strategies, students will prepare themselves to enroll and succeed in accelerated classes and classes that will earn them college credit while in high school. Tutoring and college visits will be included in the class. A snack will be provided and bus tokens for MTC will be provided as transportation home. Sign up by filling out an application which you can pick up from your counselor or from Ms. Asher (room 1221) or Ms. Storelee (room 1411). Parents: Questions? : Please E-mail email@example.com
- The library has recently added over 200 new books! If you're looking for a great book, stop by and see Mrs. Mund.
- Seniors you must get your one free photo taken by Photographer's Guild if you want to be in the yearbook. You can make an appointment at the studio 651-646-3239 or you can have your photo taken at Como on Thursday Oct. 27th. If you want to take your photo at Como sign up in room 1426 by Oct. 23 to reserve your time slot.
- College visits in the CRC--sign up for a pass in Naviance:
- Syracuse University October 3 8:00AM
- St Cloud State University October 10 8:30AM
- University of Minnesota, Duluth October 10 10:30AM
- University of Puget Sound October 10 11:30AM
- Como Robotics is excited to be competing in the 2016 Minnesota Robotics Invitational, coming up in Roseville MN on October 15th. Come out and watch the top 20 ranked BEASTbot compete against other top robots at Roseville High School. More info online @ http://firebears.org/?page_id=375
The Mid-Continent Oceanographic Institute, or MOI, has started their after-school homework help program this week, which will continue the rest of the school year. Students can call to make an appointment, or drop-in. The center is located right off the light rail green line, on the corner of University Ave and Raymond--2388 University Avenue..MOI is a non-profit that CPSHS has partnered with for over seven years. They recruit and train volunteers to assist in classrooms and after-school, and host programs to help students with writing skills and publish books! (I've had the pleasure of working with them since my early days in Americorps, and they are a pleasure to work with!) They are also working with Risa Cohen this year to facilitate a creative writing project that will culminate into a published book by our students. Exciting stuff! For more information: 612-367-7827.
Get Involved, Parents
Saturday, 10/8: Homecoming Galore!
- Is your student iPad ready? iPad rollout is less than a week away! Have you signed your student’s iPad user agreement? If not, please go to the website https://www.spps.org/comosr, click on the top banner, and print out the form. Please have your student drop this off in the office.
- Parent Teacher Conferences will be held on Thursday, October 6 from 4:00-7:00. No appointments are necessary.
- Stay healthy and well this school this year. There will be a Flu shot clinic during conferences on October 6th 4:00 – 7:00Flu vaccinations are available to anyone 6 months and older. Parent or guardian must be present.If you have insurance please bring your card. Vaccinations are available for those without insurance at no cost
- . Children's Dental Services (CDS) will be providing dental care at Como Park Senior High School! Students are provided with a full range of dental care during school hours. All forms of public and private insurance are accepted - no child is denied treatment due to an inability to pay. CDS assists families in applying for medical assistance and offer a sliding scale discount program for income eligible families. Consents are available at the school nurse office.
- Parent Academy Seminars are coming soon! Childcare and a light supper are available on seminar nights. This year's seminars will be Exploring College Options on October 24 from 5:30-6:45 and College Entrance Exams:ACT, SAT, and the Accuplacer on November 7 from 5:30-6:45. Classes will be offered in English, Spanish, Karen, and Somali. Contact Sandy Kestner at 651-744-3997 if you would like to register or if you would like more information.
- Conference Night(s) Teacher Appreciation: Welcome to a new school year at CPHS. Please help support and appreciate our teachers on the four nights of conferences this year. Our plan is to provide dinner for the teachers at Quarter 2 and 4 conferences and snacks at Quarter 1 and 3 conferences. This is a great and simple way to show our support for the Como teachers. If questions or you would rather donate directly, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Quarter 1 Conferences are on Thursday, October 6! Please sign up below to bring a food/beverage item or to make a donation and we will take care of the rest. Como Teacher Conference Appreciation 10/6 http://signup.com/go/7v9khN
- 11:00am: Parade in front of CPSHS! Please try to attend.
- 11:30am: Picnic Lunch available for small fee, provided by our awesome Booster Club!
- 12:00pm: Femmball (Female Flag Football) on our field. (Sign up sheet available this week in the main office.)
- 2:00pm: Varsity Football @ Griffin Stadium
- 7:00pm-10:00pm: Homecoming Dance in cafeteria. Tickets on sale only during Spirit Week. No guests allowed; Como students only.
Step up for Booster Club!
We are in need of people willing to help out with a great group of folks to keep the "Boost" in the Booster Club:
- Co-chair (with Shawna Jones)
- Fundraising chair (new post)
- Co-Communications (with Margaret Hamburger)
- Fundraising chairs for Give to the Max (coming up in November)
- Co-Treasurer (with Laura LaCroix-Dalluhn)
- Volunteer coordinator (new post)
- Co-Urban Growler fundraising (with Ann Commers)
- Co-Hospitality chair (with Shayne Miller)
Upcoming Events-mark your calendar!
- Parent Teacher Conferences October 6 4:00-7:00pm
- FAFSA Night October 18 5:00-7:00pm
- Parent and Community Council October 18 6:00-7:30pm
- Coffee with the Counselor October 19 9:00-10:00am
- Parent Academy Seminars October 24 and November 7
Parent Coordinator Sandy Kestner: email@example.com
Please note: This newsletter is put together by a busy staff member who believes that parents and students can make the CPSHS community better when they know what is going on each week. News is collected via responses to an all-staff email as well as from active parents who regularly share news about non-staff affiliated groups. If you have something new you'd like to see in the newsletter, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This e-mail has been sent to you by COMO PARK SR. To maximize their communication with you, you may be receiving this e-mail in addition to a phone call with the same message. If you no longer wish to receive email notifications from COMO PARK SR, please click here to unsubscribe.