Start Times Background
UPDATE: Nov. 17, 2015: The Saint Paul Public Schools Board of Education on Nov. 17 voted to not change start times for the 2016-17 school year. Read more ...
UPDATE: Oct. 6, 2015: Saint Paul Public Schools leaders presented their leading recommendation to keep current school start times for the 2016-17 school year. SPPS also presented two alternative options to the Board of Education at the Oct. 6 Committee of the Board meeting. SPPS would like to continue working with Metro Transit for a possible expansion to other schools in the future. Read more...
UPDATE: Sept. 8, 2015: Johnson Senior High was selected to pilot an 8:30 a.m. start time in fall 2015, with the additional benefit of using Metro Transit to get to and from school. This pilot program is a direct result of feedback received during our Rethinking School Start Times engagement process. Learn more about the program.
UPDATE: Oct. 14, 2014: The Board of Education voted 4 to 3 to approve the recommendation made to Superintendent Silva by the School Start Times Steering Committee.
UPDATE: Oct. 13, 2014: During the 2013-14 school year, a Steering Committee led the process of gathering information and feedback from teachers, students, parents, principals and community programs to make a recommendation about whether or not SPPS should shift secondary schools to later start times.
Read the Steering Committee's final 2014 Recommendation Report.
- Saint Paul School Board Studies New Start-Time Proposals (Pioneer Press 10/21/15)
- Lack Of Transportation Keeps Saint Paul Schools From Later Start Times (WCCO 10/7/15)
- Saint Paul Hits Roadblock in Bid to Push Back High School Start Times (Star Tribune 10/7/15)
- Saint Paul Hits Snag In Implementing Later High School Start Times (Pioneer Press 10/7/15)
- Saint Paul Schools Not Ready to Change Start Times (Minnesota Public Radio 10/6/15)
- Districts Take Closer Look at School Start Times (KARE 11 9/8/15)
- Panel Urges No Start Time Changes in Saint Paul Schools (Star Tribune 10/5/14)
- Students Aren't Getting Enough Sleep—School Starts Too Early (The Atlantic 8/25/14)
- U.S. Doctors Urge Later School Start Times for Teens (The Washington Post 8/25/14)
- More Schools Consider Later Start Times For Teenagers (The Wall Street Journal 8/25/14)
- Pediatricians Officially Want High Schools To Start Later (The Huffington Post 8/28/14)
- St. Paul Schools Consider Start Time Changes (KARE 11)
- St. Paul Weighing Later High School and Middle School Start Times (Star Tribune)
- Officials Consider Pushing Back Start Time At St. Paul Schools (WCCO)