COMO PARK SENIOR HIGH SCHOOL NEWSLETTER 10/07/2016
Homecoming tomorrow! Come join in the Cougar Spirit. Homecoming parade and picnic starts at 11:00 on Saturday, October 8, followed by the Football game at 2:00 at Griffin Stadium.
- Members of the Como Cougars Varsity Football Team spent the afternoon of October 1 at the Minnesota Vikings training facility participating in a skills clinic and meeting NFL players and coaches with inspiring messages. The Cougars worked with E.J. Henderson, Chuck Foreman and Super Bowl winning coach John Gruden who was in town with the Monday Night Football broadcasting crew covering the Vikings. Dick’s Sporting Goods also teamed up with the Vikings to host the event. They presented the Cougars with a $2,000 check to purchase much needed equipment including tackling dummies, hand shields and practice balls.
- Congratulations to Academy of Finance senior student William Toney! He was awarded a $1000.00 grant from SAP Adventure Capitol during workshops on October 4, 2016 at the U of MN McNamara Alumni Center. He was challenged to generate a solution that would solve a Health and Wellness issue in schools and pitched his idea "Shark Tank" style to a panel of judges. He is one of ten winners from a variety of schools in the Twin Cities area that competed.
Get Involved, Kids!
- Como Robotics is excited to be competing in the 2016 Minnesota Robotics Invitational, coming up in Roseville MN on October 15th. Come out and watch the top 20 ranked BEASTbot compete against other top robots at Roseville High School. More info online @ http://firebears.org/?page_id=375
- College visits in the CRC--sign up for a pass in Naviance:
- North Dakota State University 10/13/2016 11:00AM
- University of Minnesota Morris 10/24/2016 11:00AM
- University of Minnesots, Rochester 10/27 9:00AM
- Vermillion Community College 10/27 11:45AM
Get Involved, Parents!
**Many thanks to the parents from the Como staff for the delicious snacks at conferences last night! We appreciate your thoughtfulness.
- Title I is the Federal Government's largest education program to support public schools. The purpose is to help every child receive a high quality education and to achieve the high academic standards set by the State of Minnesota. To see how Title I helps CPSHS check out the school website to see the Family friendly SCIP, the Family Engagement Plan, and the Family School Compact for Achievement.
- Parents, do you want to help your student with their post-secondary plans? Do you understand the many different options available to them? The Parent Academy Seminars are designed to help you navigate this confusing information. The first seminar: Exploring College Options will be held on Monday, October 24, and the second seminar: College Entrance Exams-ACT, SAT, and the Accuplacer, will be held on November 7. The seminars are free, but class size is limited, so contact Sandy Kestner if you would like more information. 651-744-3997
- Attention Seniors and Parents! Como is hosting the first of two FAFSA completion nights on Tuesday, October 18th from 5-7pm in the library computer lab. Counselors and local college admission reps will be available to help in the process. Documents to bring include:
- Social Security Number for parent and student
- Alien Registration Number (if you are not a US citizen)
- 2015 Federal tax forms (1040, 1040A...) for parent and student
- Bank statements and records of investments (if applicable)
- Records of untaxed income (if applicable)
- Families are also able to complete this process on your own:
- Step #1 fsaid.ed.gov BOTH student and parent complete this separately
- Step #2 fafsa.ed.gov Student AND parent complete portions of the SAME application
- Families are also able to complete this process on your own:
- Would you like to meet Como's new counselors? Would you like to know what sevices they offer? Would you like to learn more about scheduling classes, GPA, preparation for graduation, or making up credits? Come and meet the counselors at the first of the year Coffee with the Counselor on Wednesday, October 19 from 9:00-10:00am in the Parent Resource Room. This is a great time to time to ask your questions, and to meet other Como parents. Call Sandy Kestner if you need transportation 651-744-3997.
- Parents! Wondering how to monitor your student's academic progress? Some teachers are using Schoology, some teachers are using Campus Portal... it's tough to find all the information! Here's a link that you should bookmark so that you can find all the important information: www.spps.org/onestop ; Remember to check with individual teachers to see who is keeping grades on which system.
- I would like to officially invite you to Schoology. Take a look at your child's homework, updates and materials for the class and assessments. Midterm and quarter grades will still be reported in the Parent Portal, but I will be uploading material such as homework and class assignments only in Schoology. You can access by visiting the website: spps.org/onestop using your new online account for all SPPS parents. There, when you scroll down you will find icon for Schoology and for campus. Click on schoology and enter your username and password. Once in Schoology, navigate through courses and find your child's Spanish class.
Upcoming Events-mark your calendar!
- Parent and Community Council 10/18 6:00-7:30 in the school library
- Coffee with the Counselor 10/19 9:00-10:00AM in the Parent Resource Room
- FAFSA Night 10/18 5:00-7:00PM in the computer lab
- Parent Academy Seminars 10/24 and 11/7
- NO SCHOOL October 20 and 21 State Teacher meetings
- Booster Club 10/17 6:30PM Parent Resource Room/Athletic Office
- African American Parent Get-Together 10/25
Parent Coordinator Sandy Kestner: email@example.com
Please note: This newsletter is put together by a busy staff member who believes that parents and students can make the CPSHS community better when they know what is going on each week. News is collected via responses to an all-staff email as well as from active parents who regularly share news about non-staff affiliated groups. If you have something new you'd like to see in the newsletter, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This e-mail has been sent to you by COMO PARK SR. To maximize their communication with you, you may be receiving this e-mail in addition to a phone call with the same message. If you no longer wish to receive email notifications from COMO PARK SR, please click here to unsubscribe.