Beginning Painting will focus on technical skills and formal organizational concepts. A variety of artistic styles from different cultures will be featured for students to interpret, analyze and influence student work. These concepts will be studied and then used to create expressive paintings. In a safe environment, students will learn to explore the properties, qualities, and capabilities of paint and painting tools. Students will gain knowledge of color theory and experience various painting techniques. The elements and principles of design will be used as guidelines for creating compositions that are formally organized.
Units of Study
- Still Life- Why is it important to be observant?
- Landscape- Why is the natural world important?
- Portrait - How do people show identity?
- Abstract- How do you use your imagination?
- Conceptual/Persuasive- How do we share our thoughts or persuade others?