Groveland Park Special Education
Special Education Teachers - Level 1-2: We provide support to students from Groveland and Nativity (K-5). We work with a variety of special education students who have mild to moderate learning needs. Sometimes we work with small groups of students on reading, writing, and/or math skills. There are also students that need support from us for work completion, or need a sensory break from their classroom. We work with students that need our services, as identified on their IEP (Individualized Education Plan). The instruction that we provide is based on the academic curriculum at Groveland or Nativity. We work on classroom skills and projects, as well as addressing academic skill deficits. We use a push in model for kindergarten, but we see our other students in small pullout groups.Brenda.email@example.comCatherine.firstname.lastname@example.orgSpecial Education Teachers - Level 2-3 ProgramSimone.email@example.comWill.firstname.lastname@example.orgOccupational TherapistJonathan.email@example.com
peech and Language
Speech and Language Pathologists:
Speech Pathologists provide services to students who have significant needs in the area of Communication. Approximately 22.5 million Americans, or about 10% of the general population, have a speech and/or language disorder.
Communication disorders encompass:
- Articulation Disorders: difficulty producing speech sounds
- Language Disorders: difficulty with understanding and expressing thoughts and ideas.
- Voice Disorders: having an inappropriate pitch/quality of voice
- Fluency Disorders or Stuttering: Inappropriate repetitions of sounds, words or phrases
Good communication skills play a major part in students' success in the classroom. Communication skills allow children to make sense of their world, to express themselves and to learn.
Speech and Language:
- Articulation Development Norms http://www.talkingchild.com/speechchart.aspx
- Language Developmental Norms http://www.asha.org/slp/schools/prof-consult/norms.htm
- Stuttering Foundation of America: http://www.stutteringhelp.org/
- National Stuttering Association: http://www.nsastutter.org/