Grants and Gifts Quick Guide
Accepting Gifts to Programs or Schools
Money is sent to accounts receivable for deposit in the appropriate account.
- Goods, services, or money given charitably, with no strings attached
- Purpose is consistent with those of the school district
- Shall be offered by a donor acceptable to the board
- Shall not add to staff load without board approval
- Shall not be accepted if there are excessive costs for maintenance or installation
- Shall not be accepted if they evoke a conflict of interest
- Shall place no restrictions on the school program
- Must not imply endorsement of any business, product or religion
- Must not conflict with any provisions of the policy manual or state statutes
- Become school district property
The board has pre-approved the acceptance of up to $30,000 in accepting gifts to programs or schools.
Revenue not considered gifts or grants.
- Small amounts of money collected from students such as “Penny Thursday”.
- Profits from selling products such as candy, magazines, etc.
- Profits from school events such as carnivals, book fairs, etc.
- Parents paying part or all of the cost of a field trip for their own children
- Receiving cash or checks on behalf of SPPS process must be followed
See specific linked procedures for exceptions, full details, and steps.