Transfer and Disposal
Who Completes This Task: Clerks, Building Inventory Managers, Custodians/Engineers, Administrators
SPPS uses the PeopleSoft asset management system to account for the location and condition of specific kinds of property. This system is updated when new items are purchased, items are retired, and site or program inventory is conducted.
To see which items must be in the asset management system, see the Equipment and Supply Quick Guide.
- An item with an inventory tag:
- Will be or has been moved to a new location
- Is broken beyond repair or has outlasted its usefulness
- Is not found during inventory
Steps - Transfer
Steps - Retire/Dispose
If an item is in PeopleSoft or if it has an inventory tag, it should be removed from the system prior to disposal.
- Search for the item in PeopleSoft
- Finance Navigation > Asset Management > Search for an Asset
- Record in PeopleSoft
- Finance Navigation > Employee Self-Service > Forms > Asset Retirement Form
- Determine method of disposition
- Technology items – contact Technology Services
- Building/Furniture items – contact Facilities
- Items with value or use to others – contact Purchasing
- Items with lower value and potentially many buyers over a wide area will be placed for auction on PublicSurplus.com or auctioned with local auction firms
- Items with higher value or unique nature will be placed for sale via sealed bid
- Items not appropriate for auction or sealed bid events may be disposed of via pre-priced sale (garage sale) when a reasonable public price can be determined
Purchasing manager must be contacted for approval on a case-by-case basis