6401 - Non Instructional Supplies
Object/Account Code 6401
Authorization: Pre-approval required
Non-instructional materials are generally office supplies or professional development materials for teachers, not students. General office supplies are not an acceptable use of TI funds unless they are for a program funded solely by TI funds, are necessary or reasonable and further the grant aims of that program. All materials with life expectancy of more than 1 year must be marked “Purchased with Title I” in some permanent manner.
Determine if the expenditure is “Necessary and Reasonable": You must answer yes to these questions before ordering.
- Will the materials serve the needs of the program in implementing the aims and purpose of the grant?
- Are they necessary and reasonable?
- Are they supplemental and would a prudent person approve of the cost or see the purchase as necessary?
- Use the goods matrix to determine process for purchasing and getting price quote or comparison (must have at least two).
- Under $3500.00 (schools) $5000.00 (programs):
- Submit the Title I order form on PeopleSoft and document the need and intended use (need should be aligned to and support the SCIP strategies and goals).
- Once approved, a) use your PCard to order the item, b) order through an approved vendor or c) use other approved means and attach a price comparisons (at least 2 for each item) and give rationale for chosen vendor (e.g. best price).
- District contracted vendors (e.g. Innovative Office) should be considered first before ordering from other vendors unless another vendor has a better price.
- Retain copies of all receipts if applicable and submit to business office in the appropriate manner consistent with purchasing process used.
- Payment of Invoice: If you have an invoice that needs to be paid, or a reimbursement to be made, create a voucher in PeopleSoft and attach the invoice or receipts, and Title I Order Form approval.
- PCard Statements: If items are purchased with a PCard and charged to TI, send the reconciled PCard statement to Peggy Cihlar. Include with the statement, copies of all receipts and the Title I Order Form approvals for each purchase on the statement paid for with TI funds.
- Over $3,500.00/$5000.00 Create a requisition on PeopleSoft. When approved, the purchasing agent will create a P.O. and place the order for the school/program.
- Receive: When the items arrive, receive the order and send original invoice & packing slips to Laurie Niblick in the business office.
Form: Title I Order Form and/or
Requisition and PeopleSoft