Family Winter Weather Plan
Before deciding to close school due to extreme winter weather conditions, Saint Paul Public Schools Superintendent Joe Gothard consults with a variety of experts both inside and outside of the district. Please note that we continually monitor the forecast from the National Weather Service in order to make the best decision for students, staff and families. Additionally, delayed start times are not logistically possible in Saint Paul Public Schools.
Guidelines for Decision-Making
Closing due to temperature or wind chill
School will be canceled if the forecast for 6 a.m. the following morning shows:
- Wind Chill is below -35 degrees Fahrenheit OR
- Air Temperature is below -25 degrees Fahrenheit
Closing due to snow or hazardous driving conditions
School will be canceled if heavy snow and/or icy conditions make it extremely hazardous or impossible for school buses to travel their routes and for employees to get to work safely:
- Decision will be made by 5 a.m. the morning of a cancellation.
SAME DAY WEATHER CANCELLATIONS
Canceling after-school activities due to weather conditions that are expected to worsen throughout the school day.
- School is in session as normal.
- Decision to cancel after-school activities will be made by 10 a.m. the day of cancellation.
- Schools that normally dismiss at 2 p.m. will dismiss at 1:30 p.m. This will help keep school buses on time for their later routes.
- All other schools will dismiss at their regular time.