Welcome to Computer Science Class
Computer is taught as an enrichment class to all K-5 students here at Frost Lake. Teachers needing extra support with technology or instructional ideas can utilize Mr. Xiong before or after school.
Frost Lake has state of the art computers for all of our students to engage and learn. Students will be using laptops (MacBook Pro) to create & manipulate projects. Sometimes, they will utilize their 1:1 device (iPads) to complete projects as assigned.
The goals at Frost Lake are to maximize student fluency in the use of technology, to enhance the content curriculum of the classroom, and to prepare the students for a life-long learning through the use of technology.
Some key components are:
- Content area skills, including Science, Math, Language Arts and Social Studies, are reinforced through a variety of wonderful apps/software programs.
- Beginning keyboard skills are introduced in Kindergarten and fluent by 3rd grade; fifth graders will type 30 or more words per minute.
- Technology skills are taught through a project based curriculum.
- iPads are used to enhance their technology skills.
District Technology Standards:
Kindergarten thru Grade 3
A student shall use appropriate computer technology to access information and to produce products by:
- Gathering information from electronic sources; and
- Producing products and selecting language, format, and graphics appropriate for the purpose and audience using word processing.
Fourth and Fifth Grades
The student shall use appropriate computer technology to access, evaluate and organize information and will complete products by:
- Completing products and selecting language, format and graphics appropriate for the purpose and including word processing, graphics and multimedia presentations
- Recognizing and using appropriate keys and techniques for entering data, and keying written work or both, at an age-appropriate level and speed and accuracy.
1. Uses technnology to process information, make creative projects.
2. Practices legal and ethical behavior relating to technology.
3. Shows age-appropriate keyboarding skills.
4. Understands technology concepts, systems and operations.
5. Shows effort in technology.
- Empowered Learner: Students leverage technology to take an active role in choosing, achieving and demonstrating competency in their learning goals, informed by the learning sciences.
- Digital Citizen: Students recognize the rights, responsibilities and opportunities of living, learning and working in an interconnected digital world, and they act and model in ways that are safe, legal and ethical.
- Knowledge Constructor: Students critically curate a variety of resources using digital tools to construct knowledge, produce creative artifacts and make meaningful learning experiences for themselves and others.
- Innovative Designer: Students use a variety of technologies within a design process to identify and solve problems by creating new, useful or imaginative solutions.
- Computational Thinker: Students develop and employ strategies for understanding and solving problems in ways that leverage the power of technological methods to develop and test solutions.
- Creative Communicator: Students communicate clearly and express themselves creatively for a variety of purposes using the platforms, tools, styles, formats and digital media appropriate to their goals.
- Global Collaborator: Students use digital tools to broaden their perspectives and enrich their learning by collaborating with others and working effectively in teams locally and globally.
Teacher Name: Eric Xiong, Computer Specialist
Phone: 651-744-4319 (Direct)