District Service Facility: Construction project
Location: District Service Facility, 1930 Como Av., St. Paul, MN 55108
Project scope: The District Service Facility (DSF) is receiving a two-story addition and being remodeled to accommodate the increased number of staff being relocated to the site who were previously located in leased spaces. The remodeled site will house approximately 230 staff.
Staff moving to DSF work for the Office of Educational Technology, Office of Teaching and Learning, and Office of Equity; other departments and programs already located at DSF include the Facilities Department, Nutrition Services, Office of Early Learning, and Technology Services.
The project consists of the following scope:
- A two-story addition at the northeast corner to house new office spaces
- Medium and light remodeling in the existing facility; not all areas of the current building will be remodeled
- Features include flexible areas with hoteling spaces; open office spaces (without walls); private offices; training center; meeting rooms, inclusive restrooms; and gathering areas
- Parking to accommodate the additional staff
- Docks 4 and 5 on the west side of the building will be eliminated and Distribution will be permanently relocated to the east side of the building
- New main electrical service installed in the building
Project Timeline (subject to change)
Project start and end dates: Spring 2020 - Fall 2021
PHASE 1: THE ADDITION
Spring 2020: Ground breaking for addition; kitchen boiler replacement
Summer 2020: Staff currently housed along the east wall where the addition is planned will be moved to temporary locations within the building
Spring 2021: Addition completed
PHASE 2: THE REMODEL
Spring 2021: Staff move into new addition; staff includes those who will permanently be housed in the addition, as well as staff who reside in other areas of the building to temporarily house them as remodeling in their permanent work areas is completed
June 2021: Remaining staff equipment and supplies from the Office of Educational Technology, Office of Teaching and Learning, and Office of Equity moved from E-STEM into offices or temporary storage
Fall 2021: PROJECT COMPLETED: All staff are moved into their permanent locations
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Will staff already housed at DSF have to move during construction?
A few people will need to move in preparation for the construction of the addition at the northeast corner of the building. It is anticipated that staff who sit next to the east side of the front office area will need to move first as that is the location where the addition meets the existing building. Additional staff moves will occur once the addition is complete to accommodate the renovation of the existing office areas.
2. When will I find out where my permanent desk location will be?
All permanent seating arrangements will ultimately be decided by program/department managers. Permanent seating will not be determined until much closer to the completion of the project.
3. How will parking be affected by the construction?
During the year and a half of construction (spring 2020 to fall 2021), it is anticipated there may be fewer parking spaces available due to needing to use some parking area for the contractors’ staging area. Free street parking is available nearby along Como Ave. and Fifield St. (west side of building). Once the construction project is complete, the parking capacity will be aligned to the number of staff working onsite.
4. What will be done to mitigate noise and dust?
While the complete elimination of noise and dust is not feasible, measures will be taken to reduce noise and dust as much as is practical by separating construction zones from work spaces, parking areas and walking paths.