Staff Winter Weather Guidelines
Saint Paul Public Schools (SPPS) has revised its Winter Weather Plan for the coming winter season.Rather than using different procedures based on cold or snowy weather conditions, SPPS will now utilize a winter weather closure day. A winter weather closure means students, families and non-mandatory staff will stay home if temperature, wind chill, snow, ice, hazardous roads or other inclement weather conditions meet the criteria for closing.Action Steps:
- Review the Winter Weather Plan
- Review the Staff Winter Weather Guidelines that define compensation and how Mandatory Employees are identified
- Ensure that your contact information is up-to-date through Employee Self-Service so you receive cancellation and closure notices.
- Visit spps.org/weather for translated documents including the Winter Weather Plan, recess and clothing guidelines for cold weather
Criteria for Closures and Cancellations
WINTER WEATHER CLOSURE
Saint Paul Public Schools will close all district buildings and will cancel schools and programs due to temperature, wind chill, snow, ice, hazardous roads or other inclement weather conditions.
School will be canceled if the expected forecast for 6 a.m. the following morning shows:
- Wind chill is below -35 degrees Fahrenheit OR
- Air temperature is below -25 degrees Fahrenheit
School will be canceled if heavy snow and/or icy conditions make it extremely hazardous or impossible for school buses to travel their routes and for employees to get to work safely:
- Decision will be made by 5 a.m. the morning of a cancellation.
AFTER-SCHOOL WEATHER CANCELLATIONS
Saint Paul Public Schools will cancel after-school activities due to weather conditions that are expected to worsen throughout the school day.
- Afternoon Pre-K, afternoon Early Childhood Special Education (ECSE) and the regular school day continues as usual.
- The decision to cancel after-school activities will be made by 12 noon the day of cancellation.
- All schools will dismiss at their regular time.