Qualifying Family Status Change

  • During this time, Saint Paul Public Schools is adhering to the orders of MN Governor Walz to help stop the spread of COVID-19, all SPPS Benefits Staff are working remotely.

    • Please send any benefit forms and documents electronically to benefits@spps.org
    • If you need to speak with the benefits staff please email benefits @spps.org with your phone number and your question and a benefits staff member will get back to you.


    Outside of open enrollment, changes to health and dental insurance, and flexible spending can only be made within 30 days of a "qualifying status change" (QSC), sometimes referred to as a "qualifying life event". 

    If you experience a qualifying life event as outlined below, please complete and submit the Status Change Form (form must be completely filled out, failure to fill out the form will result in delays) to Benefits within 30 days from your qualifying event.

    The Saint Paul Schools’ group insurance plans are governed by IRS guidelines that permit enrollment changes during the plan year only under specific circumstances called status changes.

    Please be aware in most cases:

    1. If you are canceling medical coverage for dependents you typically cannot make changes to the medical plan you currently have.
    2. If you are adding dependents you typically are able to make changes to your medical plan.

    Qualifying status changes for medical (and dental) include:

    • Addition of a dependent through marriage, birth, adoption, or custody changes.   
    • Loss of a dependent through death, divorce, or becoming ineligible for plan coverage (dependents currently on COBRA are not eligible to be added to the SPPS group policy).
    • Substantial change in employment status for you, your spouse, or your dependent's job that would affect benefit eligibility or benefit coverage (i.e. full to to part time or vice versa, termination, change jobs, leave of absence, etc.) (Dependents currently on COBRA are not eligible to be added to the SPPS group policy).
    • Qualified Medical Child Support Order is issued. A copy of the QMCSO (court document) will be required.
    • Relocation that affects your benefit elections (i.e. moving outside a medical plan's service area)
    • Annual open enrollment for your spouse or dependent that occurs at a different time than the SPPS open enrollment and results in a significant change in cost or coverage options. 

    In addition to the above list, qualifying family status changes for dependent care flexible spending reimbursement include:

    • Change in daycare providers

    If you have questions about a situation in which you believe may be a "Qualifying Status Change",  call 651.767.8200 or 651.767.8266 or email janine.cummins@spps.org

    The Process:

    Please note all status changes and requests must be submitted from the employees SPPS email account.  

    You have 30 days from the date of the event to turn in the paperwork, paperwork received outside of the 30 days will not be accepted.

    1. Submit your paperwork with documentation:
      • In person at the Benefits Office 360 Colborne Street, St Paul MN 
      • Fax:  651-665-0269
      • Email:  janine.cummins@spps.org
    2. You will receive an email through your SPPS Email account from Benefits confirming the receipt of Status Change Paperwork
    3. Once the paperwork has been processed you will receive a completion email through your SPPS Email account notice from Benefits
    4. SPPS will deduct, from an employee’s wages the necessary premiums to effect the Qualifying Status Change.  If an employee is on an unpaid leave, payment must be made prior to coverage to take effect.  Benefits will notify you via email if there is any amount due.
    5. Status Changes are sent electronically to the carrier on a weekly basis after the effective date, please allow 7-10 business days for activation with carrier. 
    6. Medical and/or dental cards are available through HealthPartners Customer Service (952.883.5000) or you can log on to your HealthPartners home page and print one yourself.


    Required Documentation:

    Employees are responsible to provide documentation supporting the request of change. 

    Qualified Status Change forms will not be accepted without proper documentation.

     Documentation Examples:

    • Birth - Copy of the crib card or birth certificate
    • Adoption - Copy of the final signed adoption papers
    • Marriage - Copy of marriage license and if adding any dependents birth certificate(s)
    • Divorce - Copy of the divorce decree (first page, any pages showing benefits agreement and last page with court signature and date).
    • Spouse loss of coverage - Document showing date of benefits loss and names of dependents (under age 26) that are affected.
    • Spouse gains coverage - Document showing date of benefits began and names of dependents (under age 26) that are affected.
    • Spouse Open Enrollment held an annual Open Enrollment at a different time than SPPS - Copy of the Open Enrollment Notice with dates

    Employee Responsibilities:

    It is the employees responsibility to review their Benefit Summary available through Employee Self Service.  Benefit Summaries show benefits as of the date, make sure to enter the appropriate date at the top if a change in benefits is future dated.

    If you increased any optional life insurance(s) or short term disability it is the employees responsibility to obtain and complete the Evidence of Insurability form(s).  Employees will not see the change or charges until the District receives notification from the insurance underwriters that you were approved.

     Make sure to fill out the entire form (Employee Name, Address, Employee ID etc) Forms that are not complete will not be accepted.


Benefit Forms