SPPS School Counselors are:
- Educators who stand in the gap for students and families
- Authentically committed to urban education
- Leaders in their buildings, district, state, and nation
- Change agents
- Anti-racist activists and warriors for equity
- Collaborators and supporters - both professionally and personally
- Driven by data, research, and promising practices
- Creators of ASCA-aligned comprehensive school counseling programs
SPPS Counselors benefit from:
- A district that values school counseling
- A culture of rock star counselors that support one another to be their best
- A comprehensive ASCA K-12 counseling system
- A consistent core counseling curriculum districtwide
- A minimum of 3.5 hours per month of targeted counselor professional development
- Specific support from a lead counselor at each level
- Award winning colleagues
- Celebrating one another and having fun
How to Apply
If this sounds like the school counseling work you want to do:
- How to apply for a counseling position:
- Counselors interview for the school counselor pool. Those selected for the pool may be routed to building administrators for an additional interview.
- Prospective employees may apply for the pool beginning in early 2022.
- The school counselor pool is currently not posted. When it gets posted in early 2022, you can apply by following these steps:
- Go to Careers / Search Jobs and Apply
- Click "prospective employees"
- Type "counselor" in the keywords, then changed "posted" to "Last Year." Then click "search."
- Click "Next" until you get to the "created" date of TBD, and you'll see "School Counselor Pool 2022-2023". Click that link to review the job description; click "Apply Now" to apply.
- How to apply for a counseling internship:
- Visit our internship information section: https://www.spps.org/Page/5360
SCHOOL COUNSELING INTERNSHIP APPLICATION PROCESS
Thank you very much for your interest in interning at Saint Paul Public Schools. All school counseling internship placements are determined through the Office of College and Career Readiness.
Please do not contact specific schools or school counselors in Saint Paul Public Schools directly.
The Saint Paul Public Schools School Counseling Department works cooperatively with partnering graduate institutions to place school counseling graduate students.
Current Partnering Graduate Institutions:
- Minnesota State University, Mankato
- Saint Cloud State University
- University of Minnesota – Twin Cities
- University of North Dakota
- University of Wisconsin – River Falls
The instructor/coordinator of each graduate program will provide pertinent information to students as they begin the internship planning process.
Graduate students interested in interning in the Saint Paul Public Schools must submit the required documents and participate in an interview with the Lead Counselors.
Fall (for Spring 2024 Internship only)
- Resumes and cover letters are due September 29, 2023 by noon.
- Interviews will be held in the afternoon on October 5, 2023.
Spring (for Fall 2023, Spring 2024 and 2023-24 Yearlong Internships only)
- Resumes and cover letters are due by noon on Friday, February 2, 2024.
- Interviews will be held in the afternoon on February 6, 2024 and February 8, 2024.
Graduate students will be contacted if they are selected for an interview. Interviews will be held online through the Microsoft Teams app.
To be considered for a school counseling internship experience in Saint Paul Public Schools, qualified graduate students must submit the following to Vanessa Boss by email:
Letter of intent, which includes the following:
- University name and program supervisor contact information
- Internship dates requesting
- Total internship hours requesting and hours preferred at each school level (elementary, middle, high school)
Current resume – please include email and phone contact information
Submit all paperwork via email to Vanessa Boss at Vanessa.Boss@spps.org.
Not all applicants are guaranteed placement. Intern placements are matched and determined based upon availability of school sites and counselor supervisors. Candidates who are interested in future career opportunities in the diverse urban Saint Paul Public Schools will be preferred. An internship in SPPS does not guarantee job placement. Placements are subject to change in the event of school counselor staffing changes.
SCHOOL COUNSELING PRACTICUM
Saint Paul Public School counselors do not take practicum students. Observation hours can be arranged directly with the building school counselor.