Phone: 651-632-3746 • ECScreening@spps.org • Fax: 651-632-3759WHAT IS EARLY CHILDHOOD SCREENING?
Early Childhood Screening (ECS) is a program that helps you see how your child is developing before they enter Kindergarten. ECS also helps find potential health and developmental concerns that may cause barriers to your child’s learning. ECS connects you and your child to programs and resource to support healthy growth and development.IS THERE A FEE?
ECS is FREE to all children ages 3, 4, and 5-year olds.WHO IS REQUIRED TO BE SCREENED?
ECS is required by Minnesota law for all children before entering Kindergarten.
ECS may not be required if your child participates or has participated in the following:
- Head Start
- Early Childhood Special Education (ECSE)
- Or, if you are a conscientious objector to screening. You will need to provide a written statement to Saint Paul Public Schools that documents your conscientious objector status.
Please contact our office for more information.WHY SCREEN AT 3?
WHAT IS THE PROCESS?
- To see how your child is growing and developing
- More time to provide support if there are concerns
- Connect you and your child to early education programs and resources
- Get it all done and out of the way before Kindergarten
Call our office at 651-632-3746 to request a screening appointment for your child. Or if you prefer, email our office at ECScreening@spps.org.
A packet will be sent to you to complete and return to our office. The packet must be completed BEFORE the appointment.
On the day of the appointment:
- Bring your child
- Bring a copy of your child’s birth certificate or passport and immunization record (if available)
- Plan for at least an hour for the screening
- You may accompany your child throughout the screening
- Your child will be screened in each of the areas below:
MINNESOTA DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION (MDE) - ECS VIDEO
- All results and your child’s health and immunization will be reviewed at the end of the screening.
If Saint Paul Public Schools are closed due to weather or unforeseen circumstances, your appointment is automatically canceled. ECS staff will contact you accordingly to notify you of the cancellation and reschedule for another appointment.