Schedule Change Policy
The Central Senior High School Counseling Department has developed the Scheduling Policy to ensure all students have equal access to Central courses. This policy ensures counselors and other staff to provide students with required and elective courses, along with participating in specialty programs (IB, Career Pathways, PSEO, etc.).
The year-long master schedule is built around the courses requested last spring by students, therefore it can be difficult to change a student’s schedule once it has been created.
Any course change request made after the deadline the previous SPRING:
- There is no guarantee a course change request will be granted.
- Requests for schedule changes for a different teacher MUST go through the grade-level administrator. Counselors cannot make these changes.
- Schedules will not be changed for students that have changed their minds from courses previously selected; they don't want to have a class at a particular time (such as the first period); be in a class with their friends; and other reasons.
- Schedule changes for year-long and required courses for graduation must be approved by a parent/guardian, counselor and possibly an administrator. This includes music and world language courses.
- Any program changes such as AVID and IB must be approved by a parent/guardian, counselor, and program lead.
- Students may request a course level change approved by a parent and the course teacher. NOTE: Students may need to complete extra work to get up to speed in the new class.
- Students can request to change an elective, but there is no guarantee it will work in their schedule or if the class is full. There are a limited number of elective course options and space available after the master schedule is created.
- There are a few instances where a student’s schedule did not work with the electives they requested or the class was no longer offered. Students can still request new electives, but there is no guarantee it can be honored.