Community Resources


    American Indian Family Center

    The purpose of the AIFC is to provide American Indian families with programs such as Therapeutic, Employment and Family/Youth services that are enriched by traditional American Indian values and culture. AIFC is located at 579 Wells Street in St Paul. For further information, please contact them directly at 651-793-3803.

    Department of Indian Work - Saint Paul Area Council of Churches

    With the help of congregations and individuals, DIW assists low-income individuals who are American Indian with the following emergency services.

    • clothing closet
    • food shelf, including Thanksgiving and Christmas baskets
    • funeral assistance
    • school supplies
    • prescriptions

    Dept of Indian Work is located at 1671 Summit Avenue in St Paul. For further information, please contact them directly at 651-789-3849.

    Ain Dah Yung Center

    Provides shelter for Native children and youth up to age 21, and works with homeless families. American Indian children and their families face an alarmingly high rate of homelessness compared to any other ethnic group in Minnesota. Ain Dah Yung is located at 1089 Portland Avenue in St Paul. For further information, please contact them directly at 651-227-4184.

    Juel Fairbanks Chemical Dependency Services

    This organization guides and mentors the chemically dependent to recover from addiction and improve mental well being.

    American Indian Family and Children's Services

    Offers training and support services to American Indian adults/families who provide foster care services to American Indian children from birth to eighteen years of age who are involved in the child protection system and the corrections system. American Indian Family and Children's Services is located at 25 Empire Drive in St Paul. For further information, please contact them directly at 651-223-8526.

    Women of Nations - Eagles Nest Shelter

    Woment of Nations is the only domestic violence shelter in the area that is targeted at effectively meeting the needs of the Native American Community. Help is available 24/7. Please contact them directly at 651-222-5836.

    Elder's Lodge

    The Elder's Lodge (Bois Forte Band of Chippewa) is an affordable, supportive housing complex for elders age 62 and older. The Lodge is shaped like a soaring eagle and nestled into a natural setting within a circle of trees. The Lodge has many events throughout the year such as Taco feeds and a Rummage Sale to name a few. Elder's Lodge is located at 1500 Magnolia Avenue E in St Paul.

    Ombudsperson for American Indian Families

    Indian families have Federal and State laws that offer assistance to them when it comes to child protection proceedings and out of home placements of Indian children. Social workers should be aware of these protections and preventative measures for potential out of home placements and the "active efforts" that must be given to Indian families. If your social worker is unsure of these measures, inform them of your Indian status. If the situation does not get better, immediately contact their supervisor, your attorney and/or an ICWA (Indian child welfare act) advocate. For further information, please contact them directly at 651-643-2523.

    Native Youth Futures

    Migizi Communications, Inc is offering a program that assists Native Youth in becoming financially independent. This project will assist seniors who will be on target to graduate in the upcoming 2018-2019 School year. Migizi and its grant partners; US HHS ACF, Administration for Native Americans, Assets For Independence as well as support from local funders, will match your savings 8:1! Participants for this program must already be working or be available to work a part time paid internship during the school year. Migizi Communications, Inc. is located at 1516 E Lake Street #300 in Minneapolis. For further information, please contact them directly at 612-558-1356.

    DMV-Written Test

    The website listed below offers FREE sample written knowledge tests for your Driver's Learner Permit that have been found useful when practicing before taking the actual test. Anyone who drives a motor vehicle on public streets or highways in Minnesota must carry a valid and unexpired driver’s license. If you have never had a driver’s license in any state or country, you must pass a knowledge test and a vision test, apply for an instruction permit, and pass a road test. For further information, please contact them directly at 651-297-2126.