School Counseling Internship Application Process
Thank you very much for your interest in interning at Saint Paul Public Schools. All school counseling internship placements are determined through the Office of College and Career Readiness.
Please do not contact specific schools or school counselors in Saint Paul Public Schools directly.
The Saint Paul Public Schools School Counseling Department works cooperatively with partnering graduate institutions to place school counseling graduate students.
Current Partnering Graduate Institutions:
- University of Wisconsin – River Falls
- University of Minnesota – Twin Cities
- Adler Graduate School
- Minnesota State University, Mankato
- Saint Cloud State University
The instructor/coordinator of each graduate program will provide pertinent information to students as they begin the internship planning process.
Saint Paul Public School counselors do not take practicum students. Observation hours can be arranged directly with the building school counselor.
Graduate students interested in interning in the Saint Paul Public Schools must submit the required documents and participate in an interview with the Lead Counselors.
Fall (for Spring 2018 Internship only)
- Resumes and cover letters due to Beverly Dushaw by October 11, 2017
- October 24 & October 30 from 2pm – 5:00pm.
Spring (for Fall 2018 and 2018-19 Yearlong Internships only)
- Resumes and cover letters due to Beverly Dushaw by February 9, 2018
- Candidates will be notified if they have been selected for an interview by February 14, 2018.
- Interviews will be held on February 22 & February 26.
Beverly Dushaw will contact graduate students if they are selected for an interview. Interviews will be held at 1780 West 7th Street, Suite 2310, Saint Paul, MN 55116
To be considered for a school counseling internship experience in Saint Paul Public Schools, qualified graduate students must submit the following to Beverly Dushaw by email:
- Letter of intent, which includes the following:
- University name and program supervisor contact information
- Internship dates requesting
- Total internship hours requesting and hours preferred at each school level (elementary, middle, high school)
- Current resume – please include email and phone contact information
Submit all paperwork to Beverly Dushaw via email at Beverly.Dushaw@spps.org. Questions may be directed to Beverly Dushaw via email or 651-603-4947.
Not all applicants are guaranteed placement. Intern placements are matched and determined based upon availability of school sites and counselor supervisors. Candidates who are interested in future career opportunities in the diverse urban Saint Paul Public Schools will be preferred. An internship in SPPS does not guarantee job placement. Placements are subject to change in the event of school counselor staffing changes. Please notify Beverly Dushaw if accepting internship opportunities in other districts.