School Counseling Internship Application Process
Thank you very much for your interest in interning at Saint Paul Public Schools. All school counseling internship placements are determined through the Office of College and Career Readiness.
Please do not contact specific schools or school counselors in Saint Paul Public Schools directly.
The Saint Paul Public Schools School Counseling Department works cooperatively with partnering graduate institutions to place school counseling graduate students.
Current Partnering Graduate Institutions:
- University of Wisconsin – River Falls
- University of Minnesota – Twin Cities
- Adler Graduate School
- Minnesota State University, Mankato
- Saint Cloud State University
The instructor/coordinator of each graduate program will provide pertinent information to students as they begin the internship planning process.
Saint Paul Public School counselors do not take practicum students. Observation hours can be arranged directly with the building school counselor.
Graduate students interested in interning in the Saint Paul Public Schools must submit the required documents and participate in an interview with the Lead Counselors.
Fall (for Spring 2021 Internship only)
- Resumes and cover letters are due October 2, 2020 by noon.
- Interviews will be held in the afternoon on October 8th.
Spring (for Fall 2021 and 2021-22 Yearlong Internships only)
- Resumes and cover letters are due by noon on Friday, February 5, 2021.
- Interviews will be held from 2-5pm on February 11th and February 18th.
Graduate students will be contacted if they are selected for an interview. Interviews will be held online through the Microsoft Teams app.
To be considered for a school counseling internship experience in Saint Paul Public Schools, qualified graduate students must submit the following to Tracy Tomberlin by email:
- Letter of intent, which includes the following:
- University name and program supervisor contact information
- Internship dates requesting
- Total internship hours requesting and hours preferred at each school level (elementary, middle, high school)
- Current resume – please include email and phone contact information
Submit all paperwork via email to Tracy Tomberlin at Tracy.Tomberlin@spps.org.
Not all applicants are guaranteed placement. Intern placements are matched and determined based upon availability of school sites and counselor supervisors. Candidates who are interested in future career opportunities in the diverse urban Saint Paul Public Schools will be preferred. An internship in SPPS does not guarantee job placement. Placements are subject to change in the event of school counselor staffing changes.