Think Twice: Fast Facts on Gangs
Before you get yourself in over your head, here are a few facts on gangs to give you some perspective.
- Gang members are 60 times more likely to be killed than non-gang members.
- Gang violence has become increasingly deadly in the last several decades as a result of the introduction of automatic weapons and drive-by shootings.
- About 95% of hard core gang members are high school dropouts.
- In 1975 there were about 55,000 gang members in the United States. By 1997 the number had ballooned to over 800,000. In 2015 the FBI reported 1.4 million active gang members in 33,000 different gangs across the Unites States. (source: FBI)
- Once you’re in, it is often times extremely dangerous and difficult to leave.
- Many gangs resort to violence, even homicide, to enforce loyalty and prevent members from leaving.