Welcome To Our Program!The Autism Program has been part of the Benjamin E. Mays school community for more than 10 years! Our staff has a broad range of experience working with children who have Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD). We have four self-contained classrooms and one resource room in our program, enhancing student learning in grades K-6.
- curriculum designed to fit the needs of each individual student based on IEPs
- a strong team approach bewteen the 5 classrooms to offer enriching and meaningful activities for students at their own level
- collaboration with regular education classrooms for instruction and mainstreaming opportunities providing a wide range of services that can be flexible around changing student needs
- integration of technology into daily instruction including laptops, smartboards, ipads and more
- Community interaction opportunities for students to apply social skills in real-life settings (grocery store, public library, restaurants, etc.)
- daily music therapy and adaptive gym clas
- Collaboration with programs from other schools within the Rondo Education Center
- Last but not least, an annual play performance in the spring created and performed by our students with autism. Previous plays include adaptations of "The Wizard of Oz" and "The Lion King"
This year's play will be an adaptation of "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory"
All families and community members are invited to attend:
Friday, May 24th at 10:30am or 2:00pm in the exhibit hall
Hope to see you there!
Focus of Study
Students receive differentiated instruction in:
- Readers Workshop with new SPPS Mondo curriculum
- Writers Workshop
- Primary Years Programme Units
- Social Skills Instruction
- Personal Care Skills
- Functional Skills
Additional services may include: Occupational Therapy, Speech and
Language, Adaptive Physical Education, Social Work, and Music Therapy.