Central High School: Our Mission
Families prize the high value we place on academics; the varied extra-curricular opportunities; our culture of constant innovation; and our focus on relationships as the heart of learning. Students benefit from a variety of academic programs, including Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate, College-in-the- Schools, Quest, and French Immersion (among six languages offered). College readiness opportunities include Upward Bound, College Possible, AVID, and the African-American Male Initiative. Our school has consistently been ranked among the nation’s Best High Schools by US News & World Report, Newsweek and the Washington Post. Culturally and economically diverse, Central High School offers opportunities for all.
Central High School's partnership of students, teachers, parents, staff, community members, and alumni will meet the educational needs of all students, one student at a time, by:
- Striving for academic excellence while providing a safe, caring, and welcoming environment
- Ensuring equitable opportunities and extra-curricular activities that encourage students to value education and develop strong life skills and high self-esteem
- Acknowledge, respecting, and valuing members of the school community and utilizing the strength that comes from diversity
- Promoting positive relationships among groups and individuals of all backgrounds in both the school and community
- Gaining recognition for Central’s contribution to the community and for its high levels of success in preparing students for society.